Very pleased with my nearly stock GPR

Installed my DIY PPK and allowed the fast cure 4200 to set for 2 days and finally got to run the ski today. What a difference a properly sealed pump shoe makes. I've never ridden a ski that cavitated more than my stock GPR but after researching on here I found a cheaper alternative to the $80 Riva PPK. I used the Amazing Casting Resin (from Hobby Lobby. 2 kits at $15/each). I spent a total of $30 and 2 hours time and it was done. Took the ski out today and had 0 cavitation. Its still a little sluggish out the hole but I clocked it with a handheld Garmin GPS and hit a top speed of 67.8MPH. The only other mods is a solas 13/19 concord impeller and D-plate and sensor. Im rather impressed for a nearly stock ski. Too bad this ski is primarily my wifes ride. I haven't clocked my modded 01 GPR yet but I think the stocker is faster. It has to be my Pro-Tec grate slowing me down. My stocker still has the stock grate. What I dont get is my ski has a speedwerx head, pro-tec grate and plate and 13/20 setback impeller. I think I may swap the grates and see what happens.

+1
    Nice! Get rid of that stock grate though. Wish you would have posted before you did the pump seal kit, that was the time to reinforce the tunnel.

Woody, I plan to ditch the stock grate. I've read all the safety issues about using a stock grate with a PPK. I plan to put it on my ski for testing purposes only. I want to clock my ski with the pro-tec grate and again with the stock grate. Definately don't want to leave the stock grate on my wifes ski. She never owned a pwc before and not nearly as experienced rider as I am and I definately don't want to risk her getting hurt.

+1
    Good speeds out of a stocker..

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Good speeds out of a stocker..
    sounds like good speeds in this cool air, but did you go in both directions of the current or wind and average the readings? what RPM`s were you turning with that prop? what body of water was this done in? Salt water or fresh?
    Tidal or non tidal?

Thats cool that the forum members helped you out with on target info and it worked out for you... Yahoo GH forum!...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    sounds like good speeds in this cool air, but did you go in both directions of the current or wind and average the readings? what RPM`s were you turning with that prop? what body of water was this done in? Salt water or fresh?
    Tidal or non tidal?

Thats cool that the forum members helped you out with on target info and it worked out for you... Yahoo GH forum!...
    Yes Pale Rider, you're right, it is good that you guys helped me out. Now if you all could just help me figure out why my stocker is faster than my modded ski that would be great. Unfortunately I couldnt get both skis out on the water together today. The 01 has a dead battery.

+1
    I would throw the stock grate away and dont even consider using it... at that speed, it can overstuff when you let off the throttle and throw you off

mine did it at 65mph

some hulls are just faster than others

Quote Originally Posted by yamadood View Post
    Yes Pale Rider, you're right, it is good that you guys helped me out. Now if you all could just help me figure out why my stocker is faster than my modded ski that would be great. Unfortunately I couldnt get both skis out on the water together today. The 01 has a dead battery.
    dood, you left out the more important info! come on spill it, what r`s, current, come on man details!...lol...
    yes, this is a very helpful forum! more so than any other around...
    +1 on what WFO said!

as far as why the ski`s have dif speeds,
    could be variations in the hulls, bc no 2 hulls are the same, and def could be has to be alignments of all the parts... shoe, plate/grate/pump/nozzles etc...
    There is free speed to be found under the GPR...

I dont have a tiny tach on this ski but according to the stock dislpay it looked to be running about 6800 RPM's. I don't think thats accurate because I don't see the ski being able to run 67 almost 68mph and turn less that 7K rpm's. I just put the tiny tach, that I got from JetDave (thanks again Dave) on my 01 modded GPR. Ran it on Monday and it turned 7090 RPM's. It's wierd, the stock ski isn't turning the higher rpm's yet its running faster than the modded ski which is turning the higher rpm's. Makes no sense does it?

Man this nearly stock GPR never ceases to amaze me. My wife and I took both skis out today and of course her stocker is still running circles around my modded ski. It baffles me, but never mind that at the moment. A friend of mine brought his 04 Seadoo RXT out and wanted a piece of the GPR. We lined them up side by side me on my 01 modded GPR, him on his RXT and my wife on the stock 2000 GPR. On count of 3 we all took off. Pretty much side by side then those PV's kicked in on the stocker and she was gone. Now the battle for 2nd was on. Unfortunately I was giving it all she had and slowly the RXT pulled away but by the time he got away from me my wife was already turned around and idling waiting for us to line up and go again. That stock ski kicks a$$. She smoked the RXT. I cant explain it. I'm wishing I would have kept the stocker for myself and gave her the modded ski.

Thread Information