Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
  1. #1

    New Carbon Seals should come with BILGE PUMPS!!

    Yep......me f*cking too!

    Just completed the carbon seal replacement and went out this morning to tear shit up. Ran its ass off and pulled like a freight train for about an hour. Then (LUCKILY) im right near the dock as im cutting up a little with hard turns and idleing, then I noticed my ski cavitating hard and water staying in the footwells.....yep, the bitch was filling up with water.

    Ive read a little about this here last week and thought "that wont happen to me, i pay attention to details when i assemble anything". Well, its time to go outside and see WTF. I noticed after I pulled it out the water that water was HEAVILY pouring out from the carbon seal area, so I guess thats gonna be the problem...still have to remove some stuff and see WHY it happened.

    While im out doing that in a minute from now, i wanted to ask what the actual reasons are for this to happen....ive searched a few threads but havent found one yet about an RXP with actual conclusions yet.
    Mine is 05 RXP. First time carbon seal replacement. Hull is @ 160hrs. And this didnt seem to happen untill after a good hour of riding - heavy chop with some hard speed runs here and there in flatter spots.

    I guess I'll be searching bilge threads tonight! I nearly pissed my wetsuit!....oh wait, i did.
    I certainly could have used a murdered-out bilge pump a couple of hours ago!


  2. #2
    Orlando Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    2,419
    +1
    10
    Check your motor alignment and motor mounts. If the motor is not aligned correctly it causes uneven wear on your carbon seal which will cause this problem.

  3. #3
    But how could my alignment be off when the ski has run nice and hard ever since 160hrs ago? I dont suspect i have a "slow hull", indication piss-poor alignment.....and furthermore, if my alignment was bad from factory, then my original carbon seal wouldnt have made it to 150+ hrs, right?

  4. #4
    Orlando Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    2,419
    +1
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    But how could my alignment be off when the ski has run nice and hard ever since 160hrs ago? I dont suspect i have a "slow hull", indication piss-poor alignment.....and furthermore, if my alignment was bad from factory, then my original carbon seal wouldnt have made it to 150+ hrs, right?
    Engine Alignment has nothing to do with any of the above. With time your motor mounts sag or even break making you motor shift more to one side and throwing your alignment off. This should not affect performance at all but it will affect your carbon seal which needs to be in the correct position to create a proper seal. If the motor is unaligned the carbon seal will wear unevenly and not create a proper seal.

  5. #5
    mrbtd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Lindenhurst, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    4,309
    +1
    2
    Did you reuse the C-Clip ?

    I would say "slow hull" has very little to with alignment BTW.

  6. #6
    Nope....didnt realize the C clip needed replacement. Never dreamed that would come loose from under the floating ring! WTF! ....just found out that the C clip is off and the floating ring was all loose etc. Now i gotta dig deeper and see if this broke anything else.

    I think i read that hitting stop/reverse can cause this, or am i thinking of something else? Because i did hit reverse once today (sort of hard) when i got spooked when heading too fast towards shallow water.

  7. #7
    WOT 88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Palm City, FL
    Posts
    1,147
    +1
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    Nope....didnt realize the C clip needed replacement. Never dreamed that would come loose from under the floating ring! WTF! ....just found out that the C clip is off and the floating ring was all loose etc. Now i gotta dig deeper and see if this broke anything else.

    I think i read that hitting stop/reverse can cause this, or am i thinking of something else? Because i did hit reverse once today (sort of hard) when i got spooked when heading too fast towards shallow water.
    I've seen it a few times, c-clip gets dropped and boom... Also, I think the groove on the driveshaft can wear as well.

    Was with another member on here the weekend before last and it happened.

  8. #8
    Just pulled the pump and driveshaft out.

    Correct me if wrong, but it IS normal to have some oil drip from the case when you yank the driveshaft out, correct? I had oil all over the front end of the driveshaft and some minor spillage into hull from where that floating bearing is.

    I can see wear marks (shiny spots) on front and rear splines of the driveshaft. The rear splines look worse. But then, i have no idea how much of this wear was already there. The rest of the driveshaft looks fine just as it did the other day.

    Felt the left rear motor mount and its still in 1 piece as was the other day. The carbon seal and boot look the same also - no visible wear or stress from today's mishap.

    So, what should I do at this point? Just replace the C clip and be done? Or get a new floating ring and driveshaft too?? How long are these driveshafts good for under normal operating conditions (besides loosing my C clip for a short while today)?

    Thanks!

  9. #9
    mrbtd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Lindenhurst, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    4,309
    +1
    2
    Most likely just the c-clip

    Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalkm

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    Just pulled the pump and driveshaft out.

    Correct me if wrong, but it IS normal to have some oil drip from the case when you yank the driveshaft out, correct? I had oil all over the front end of the driveshaft and some minor spillage into hull from where that floating bearing is.

    I can see wear marks (shiny spots) on front and rear splines of the driveshaft. The rear splines look worse. But then, i have no idea how much of this wear was already there. The rest of the driveshaft looks fine just as it did the other day.

    Felt the left rear motor mount and its still in 1 piece as was the other day. The carbon seal and boot look the same also - no visible wear or stress from today's mishap.

    So, what should I do at this point? Just replace the C clip and be done? Or get a new floating ring and driveshaft too?? How long are these driveshafts good for under normal operating conditions (besides loosing my C clip for a short while today)?

    Thanks!
    Bump - for more opinions/knowledge on these questions above.


    Im also thinking just the C clip. But.....

    As far as the C clip coming out, why would it do that after 160Hrs/immediately after changing the carbon seal?? Why does this carbon seal repair cause these C clips to come out on so many people?

    Furthermore, I guess the thought of the C clip wearing down is the popular idea for why people should replace them before they fall out (Although the shop manual doesnt seem to suggest replacement!). But, is it the C clip wearing down and getting loose, or is it the groove in the driveshaft getting worn and loose to the C clip? Trying to figure out if I need to order a brand new driveshaft My thoughts are that the C clip is softer than the driveshaft - not equal to. What do yall think on all this?

    Thanks.....I'd like this mishap to be the last time it ever happens.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2015, 09:36 AM
  2. polaris freedom starts with bilge pump.
    By 4-E in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-02-2014, 10:18 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-02-2014, 07:01 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-13-2008, 12:23 PM
  5. For you guys with bilge pumps...
    By kurt1200 in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 01-04-2008, 06:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •