Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    yorktown, Va
    Posts
    27

    SBT Crankshaft and seals - domestic 700cc differences

    Hello all Again
    Ok a little back ground info first. I am currently rebuilding two engines one is from my 1997 SL700 and one is from my buddies 2000 Virage 700. Basically the same motors.

    Mine the SL I had it bored .25 over and replaced the outer crank bearing myself using info obtained from this site and all worked great. Got the seal kits from SBT this motor had a single crankshaft oil seal and two circlip on the PTO side (towards the impeller).

    On the Virage, it had busted a connecting rod so we sent the shaft to SBT for an exchange and ordered all the other stuff. Crankshaft looked great (see pics) and their service was very fast, however in the seal kit we order there are two crankshaft rear seals both have a lip on them like they are suppose to fit in the slots were the circlips go.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2484.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	234995
    After looking at the parts diagrams and the SBT web site we determine that they had sent us the seal kit for a 2001 Virage which according to the parts diagrams had two seals.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2489.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	234994
    Called SBT this morning and they said that the two seals will work with this model and that they replace the circlips.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2481.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	234993
    Tried to fit everything together and the little tits on the back side on the seals are pushing the crank to far forward and the front circlip does not have enough room, call SBT back and their suggestion is to cut the tits off the back of the seal with a razor, this will indeed give it enough room but I don't like it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2483.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	234992
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2482.jpg 
Views:	60354 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	234991
    Has anyone else had this problem or done this before (please look at pics)

    Please don't get me wrong I am in no way bashing SBT, I have ordered lots of stuff from them in the past and they have always been great and like I said the new crank looks fantastic, just not sure of this two seal setup.


    K447 I need your Help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2487.jpg 
Views:	61706 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	234990  


  2. #2
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,569
    +1
    1,272
    I will let the experienced domestic engine rebuilders handle this one.

  3. #3
    I can't search from my phone, but if you search my old threads from my 1200 build I think you'll find pics of a similar problem I had...yours looks different from what I remember. I thought the new style only replaced one of the clips.



    Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Connecticut CrazyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    CT.
    Posts
    8,134
    +1
    1,050
    Quote Originally Posted by scubadw View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2489.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	234994
    Called SBT this morning and they said that the two seals will work with this model and that they replace the circlips.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2481.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	234993
    Tried to fit everything together and the little tits on the back side on the seals are pushing the crank to far forward and the front circlip does not have enough room, call SBT back and their suggestion is to cut the tits off the back of the seal with a razor, this will indeed give it enough room but I don't like it.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2483.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	234992
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2482.jpg 
Views:	60354 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	234991
    It's possible what has happened here is that the crank is slightly too wide. Originally, when using the 2 circlip setup, you would use the older style seal which was flangeless..... totally smooth outer edge and wider. You are showing the newer style seal which can indeed replace the clips, but you should not have to trim them. (you wont be able to run those seals AND the clip(s)) Put the crank in the case with the MAG side clip where it belongs and then get a visual (or even measure) to see how centered everything is. Let us know what you find trying it that way.... take pics of the entire assembly from the top down. Birds-eye view if you will. Just throwing it out there as a possibility.

  5. #5
    casey67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lemont,IL
    Posts
    2,570
    +1
    34
    I'm guessing those little tabs are making the difference.
    I don't know why they would be made that way.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Polar...rcraftQ5fParts

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    yorktown, Va
    Posts
    27
    Thanks, The guys at sbt swears it will work if the taps are cut off, I have cut the taps off one seal but have not tried fitting everything together yet, plan on doing that after work this afternoon. I will take plenty of pics and let everyone know how things go.
    Thanks for all the help
    Tim

  7. #7
    Connecticut CrazyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    CT.
    Posts
    8,134
    +1
    1,050
    It probably will but....

  8. #8
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee WI
    Posts
    16,708
    +1
    1,324
    Is there a way to use a double seal setup on a motor that originally did not have one?

    Looking at this one, it seems like it wouldn't hurt anything to trim those little nubs off the one seal.

    I'd love to convert to a double seal if there is a way to do it on the 900 I'm rebuilding.
    Last edited by K447; 06-04-2011 at 09:09 AM.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homer Glen Il.
    Posts
    8,702
    +1
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Is there a way to use a double seal setup on a motor that originally did not have one?

    Looking at this one, it seems like it wouldn't hurt anything to trim those little nubs off the one seal.

    I'd love to convert to a double seal if there is a way to do it on the 900 I'm rebuilding.
    yes but now i can't remember Randy told me how to do it on my Pro 1200

    If i remember right you have to get an extra front seal and use it in the rear to double them up but don't quote me on this
    Last edited by K447; 06-04-2011 at 09:09 AM.

  10. #10
    Moderator beerdart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    25,929
    +1
    1,407
    Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    yes but now i can't remember Randy told me how to do it on my Pro 1200

    If i remember right you have to get an extra front seal and use it in the rear to double them up but don't quote me on this
    Quoted
    Last edited by K447; 06-04-2011 at 09:10 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Difference between 12F and 15F crankshaft and cams?
    By Pacer in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-12-2015, 11:13 AM
  2. VX100 R&D intake grate and seal kit makes a difference
    By kandrews in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 07:38 PM
  3. GP1200 can u mix top and bottom case from different 1200s
    By yacser1 in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-10-2008, 09:57 AM
  4. part numbers for bearings and seal in the pump housing
    By gvnitup in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-03-2007, 08:25 AM
  5. Prop tools and seals
    By BJTKRXPHD in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-24-2006, 02:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •