Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Supercharger stuck again

2008 ultra 250x bought in 2009 and I spend over an hr each ride cleaning and oiling this ski and winterize , ski looks newer then some 2011s
    So in 2010 season the supercharger froze and they gave me a really hard time but after many calls to kawi they replaced it 2 months later ,

Now yesterday we took out of the garage to start and the supercharger is frozen again ! Crazy right ?

I have the good times 5 yr plan so is there anything I can do to insure that thy cover it again ? Cause the first time they said it was a curtsy fix

Please let me know before I drop off , thanks

+1
    How long did it set before you just tryed to start it? If you store it over the winter, I suggest starting your ski every couple of weeks. Keeps the charger lubed and free and is good for your battery.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by benrock250x View Post
    2008 ultra 250x bought in 2009 and I spend over an hr each ride cleaning and oiling this ski and winterize , ski looks newer then some 2011s
    So in 2010 season the supercharger froze and they gave me a really hard time but after many calls to kawi they replaced it 2 months later ,

Now yesterday we took out of the garage to start and the supercharger is frozen again ! Crazy right ?

I have the good times 5 yr plan so is there anything I can do to insure that thy cover it again ? Cause the first time they said it was a curtsy fix

Please let me know before I drop off , thanks
    Correctly fogging a supercharger will PREVENT it from siezing,

Possibly you need to revise HOW your FOGGING method
    or maybe the spray you are using
    or how much you aren't using

Is it the bearing ?

end of the day IF the alloy inside the Supercharger is correctly coated it cant corrode and sieze up,

also as said , starting periodicly will help big time , but remember to re fog after running it .

Waz

Yea I did fogging mod with clamp and I spray fogger till she bogs down and I do it every time I ride , It sits for 6 months but gets started once a month and this last time she didn't turn over and u can see pulley is frozen ,

It should still be covered because they don't require the fogging in the service manual

My friend never even cleans. His and it starts every summer no problems WTF ?

Thanks guys maybe just have bad luck

A little more info needed here BenRock. Do you ride in fresh or salt water? if you ride in salt and you have alot of water coming over the bow due to sea state than Fogging is much more important as some sea water inevitably finds its way into the SC. If it were up to me I would actually prefer the air intake to be "aft" rather than "fore" as the aft area of the boat generaly stays drier. But the air is cooler "fore" so that is probably why the air intake is where it is. If you are riding in sedate fresh water conditons, Fogging is almost not even neccessary. Back to you: the Pulley is an external aparatus hanging off the back of the SC so I do not see that as part of the SC per se. Can you give us an idea of the condition of the Pulley? Rusted? Pitted? Me personally, I start my 260 up every 2 weeks just to let the SC Blades Spin and the Pulleys turn. I have have been around the marine environment for 40+ years and have always held fast to the rule of not letting marine vessels sit too long without starting. having had two Ultras I can safely say that in my opinion these things should not sit long without being strated, and if you are in Salt water you need to be VERY dutiful in you washdown procedure and processess . . .

If you run in the salt, it is a through away part. I fogged the death out of mine, following all of the rules on the forum. Fact of the matter is, although the oil lubricates, the charger is constantly in a salt bath. The little salt that is in the air is constantly mixing with the oem crank case lube system. My machinist says he can rebuild it for a lot cheaper then new. I would consult yours, and maybe up the quality of the bearings while your at it. WHAT A SHAME!!!! : (

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yes I ride in saltwater and I do a over the top job cleaning my ski after , I can almost say I spend about as much time cleaning as I do riding lol.the pulley looks new like rest of engine , there is not a grain of salt on the inside but I guess like u said it gets inside and does the damage from there . Well I'm going to call kawi first and send them the pictures I took so they see how clean it is , and then I'll drop it off tomorrow at the dealer to start this grueling process again .

I guess I have to start it. More often next yr .

Thanks for all the help . Wish me luck

[QUOTE=FAT BOY;1666772]If you run in the salt, it is a through away part. I fogged the death out of mine, following all of the rules on the forum. Fact of the matter is, although the oil lubricates, the charger is constantly in a salt bath. The little salt that is in the air is constantly mixing with the oem crank case lube system. My machinist says he can rebuild it for a lot cheaper then new. I would consult yours, and maybe up the quality of the bearings while your at it. WHAT A SHAME!!!! : (

Yes the saltwater environment does add some wear and tear to the SC . . . The Belts, Pulleys, etc . . . these are all wear items anyway. A good rebuild of the SC when it needs it is probably a sound idea . . . agree

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by benrock250x View Post
    Yes I ride in saltwater and I do a over the top job cleaning my ski after , I can almost say I spend about as much time cleaning as I do riding lol.the pulley looks new like rest of engine , there is not a grain of salt on the inside but I guess like u said it gets inside and does the damage from there . Well I'm going to call kawi first and send them the pictures I took so they see how clean it is , and then I'll drop it off tomorrow at the dealer to start this grueling process again .

I guess I have to start it. More often next yr .

Thanks for all the help . Wish me luck
    Sounds like you are doing all the right stuff . . . One question: after a ride in the ocean do you find that you have some water in that litle pink nipple hose at the bottom of the airbox (near the engine)? If so, that is a clue (for me) as to how much water may have been injested by the SC . . . The more water I see, the more I Fog. If I see no water in the nipple, I tend not to Fog at all. JB

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    the facts are simple

RAW ALLOY CORRODES

treated /coated alloy DOES NOT corrode

I ride 99% time ocean water, have a flat filter and my hull is ALWAYS full of saltwater , from water over the bars and in threw the flat filter............probally 5-10 litres every ride from wave jumping.

ONCE and only ONCE in 3 years did my charge slightly nip up, and that was the week end I didnt fog it as I thatught it would be OK

Well WRONG............it only sat for 3 weeks and it nipped up

I was lucky enough it came free after removing and soaking it in a fluid ....

Since then EVERY ride a good quality fogg oil and a good procedure and NEVER froze again

Same procedures followed on 5 of my friends Ultra's and no siezed SC anywhere.

Waz

we are talking about the mod where you punch a hole in the hose to the supercharger and shoot in fogger till she bogs down and then cover with hose clamp ?

if we are , i did that everytime even though its not a required maintanace accoriding to the book .

as far as the nipple overflow , i get maybe 1/4inch of thick gray gunk every month thats about it .

any chance i could free it up some how ? any suggestions ?

thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information