97 Kawasaki STX 1100

Please Help 96 zxi charging problems

I have a 96 zxi 1100 took it out today for the frist time in freezing cold water.. It sucked but I wanted to make sure it was ready for summer since I hadnt had it out yet since purchasing and fixing up a few things.... Anyway I dropped it in and it ran great reved up nice and idled perfect. Rode around for about 20 minutes then all of a sudden shut off in the middle of cruising. Sat for a minute and it started up again and rode for alittle then stalled again.... Tried restarting and it was slow to turn over so I let it sit for a minute and then tried again... It started again and then stalled after a minute or two .. Just enough to get up to speed again... Each time I tried to start it was slow cranking. At first I thought I was taking in water cause after sitting a minute it would start.... But finally I had to be towed to shore.... I got it back on the trailer ... A good 30 minutes has went bye by now and It started right up on the trailer.. Spit quite a bit of water out of the tail pipe.... Hoping that was just from the tow.... Ran it on the trailer and it reved up good... Got it home and hooked a volt meter up and battery was only readding 11.4 Volts started it up slow crank but started and didnt see any raise in voltage..... Now I need some help.... Most logical problem I think is stator right? Can anyone give me some advice on what wires to test for shorts or ground.. And if it could be the voltage regulator / rectifier. If so please advice me what I need to start testing. Also Im guessing when I check voltage at the battery with the engine running I should have 13.2 to 14.8V if it were charging.. I also did do a compression check just to be sure 100 psi all 3 cylinders..... Look slike I have a charging problem to solve... Any advice would be helpful... my first guess would be the stator but I dont want to start throughing parts at it prefer to test things and replace the right part the first time... Thanks in advance...

P.s does this ski have a electric fuel pump or a mechanical one?

+1
    Did you check the battery voltage while running?

These engines use a pulse pump, which is mounted on the carbs. It is powered by crankcase pressure pulses.

From the service manual:

Charging coil resistance, brown - brown: 0.7Ω - 1.1Ω

Exciter coil resistance, purple - red: 348Ω - 523Ω

Exciter coil resistance, yellow - black: 22Ω - 32Ω

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post

These engines use a pulse pump, which is mounted on the carbs. It is powered by crankcase pressure pulses.

From the service manual:

fuel pump question: Oh ok, cool wasnt sure on these. I just finished rebuilding a polaris 750sl last yr so each ski is different. Its a learning experience with each ski ...

Charging issue: Yes I checked the voltage with the ski running.... It does start and run. I connected a volt gauge to the positive and neagtive of the battery and all I read was 11.4V with it running......So I figure I have a stator issue... Sucks cause I had a extra one I just sold over the winter.... Any way Im guessing I should be checking for shorts to ground between the chasis and the wires your indicating and the resistance between the wires above? I havent looked at the harness yet but Im guessing theres 6 wires there brown, brown, purple, red yellow and black.... I should only have resistance between the wires you've indicated brown brown, purple red, and yellow black so if I have any resistance or staright shorts between any of the above wires I have a problem...

97 Kawasaki STX 1100

From the service manual:

Hey Steve45, wanted to thank you again, I checked all the resistances today.. Unpluged the harness plug at the fuse box and checked the resisitances. Everything seamed to check out ok so I looked closer at the plug itself and tightened up the connecters inside the plug and put some die electric grease in there. Connected it all back together and fired it up and walla its charging. Guess I had a bad connection at the plug... 13.2V charging... I also charged my battery up last night... Guess Ill be heading back out for another test run once we get some more warm weather...... Cant wait!

+1
    Great! Glad you found it.

Now I need to do some troubleshooting on a couple of STSs that I bought last month. Some a$$hole hooked the battery up backwards on both 'Skis and burned out the fuse. No problem, simply cut the fuse holder out of the circuit and crimp the wires together and try again! When I picked them up, the batteries had one red wire and one black wire attached to each terminal... They came from Arkansas, need I say more? I'm about to pull my hair out with them.

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    Great! Glad you found it.

Now I need to do some troubleshooting on a couple of STSs that I bought last month. Some a$$hole hooked the battery up backwards on both 'Skis and burned out the fuse. No problem, simply cut the fuse holder out of the circuit and crimp the wires together and try again! When I picked them up, the batteries had one red wire and one black wire attached to each terminal... They came from Arkansas, need I say more? I'm about to pull my hair out with them.
    Well Good luck, Hope you get it all worked out. I finally got the ski back out on the water today! Ran Great... The wife and I enjoyed a couple hrs on the river while the kids were in school.... Really happy with the ski.... Didnt realize how much faster it was then our polaris 750sl till we got up next to each other and operned them up... zxi was tons faster.... No comparison..... Im gonna have to check the plugs on the polaris and fine tune it... Seams not to be running as well as it should also noticed the polaris vibrates quite a bit compared to the Kawaski... Not sure if thats the difference in the 2 skies or If I have a problem...

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    One more question? Are these Kawaski ZXI 1100 known for the battery draining after sitting for a couple 2 to 3 weeks? My polaris turned right over but the zxi was dead..... Had to charge the battery for 2hrs before heading out...

Thread Information