+1

2000 Yamaha 1200xl Limited build

First ski, so any help will be appreciated. I had a "deal" where I got one from a guy who had it take on water(forgot the plugs) and let it sit a few seasons. It needed cables, wear ring, carb rebuild and an engine. Basically no cash in it, so I assumed an engine rebuild or SBT remanufactured one to be in budget. Took the engine out and it is seized up with water coming out of the reeds from the block. I assume rusting, cylinder/piston replacement where the rings are frozen, crank replacement etc.

That being said, is it better or more cost effective to just get an SBT engine with warranty than to try and rebuild with no warranty and the chance of things going wrong? If it was a bad cylinder from lack of oil maybe, but a rusted/water flooded engine will be really costly. Any ideas? Will post pics if it is worth taking apart at this point. Any pros or cons on the SBT engines as compared to a rebuilt?

+1
    Well took the 66V apart today and found rust as expected, but the cylinders look suprisingly good with no gouges or scratches and the pistons themselves look good, so I will try a rebuild.

That being said, I will need the following:

Piston rings
    Piston bearings
    Piston pin clips
    Piston washers
    Crankshaft (OEM or rebuild)
    Gasket set
    Oil seals

Looking at the gaskets, do they need to be OEM or is the SBT set any good or worth the time as they claim meets or exceeds OEM? Everything else will be OEM though.

Moderated
    i would use oem gaskets if i were you

any job worth doing is worth doing properly.

as for SBT, they dont have the best rep around here.

+1
    Thought the gaskets was a different story. Which gaskets can be reused on the exhaust side as I plan on using new on the engine itself and where necessary. I saw the grease tip when reusing gaskets, but what sealant to use on the case halves?

+1
    Well, I have everything apart and actually got the bearings and rods free on the crank. How can I check the crank to see if it is ok to use? Any way to check it before spending money on another?

SBT cranks seem to use cheaper bearings, etc. than I'd want to risk. Some people have had luck with them and others have had them come apart within a couple hours of installation.

I'd be a bit scared of a crank that I "actually got the bearings and rods free on".
    There should be NO roughness or noise in the bearings which would indicate pitting. Pitting will cause excessive heat buildup in the bearing leading to the chance of very dramatic failure.

+1
    Well, got it running finally. Bought a set of carbs, crank, piston rings, reeds, gaskets, cables, wear ring and am sure a few more things. Finally got the ski finished and runs great. Was going to install a primer kit, but the choke actually works very well. Would like to thank Bill, Ben, Jim and anyone who took the time to reply or sell me a part. Thanks again guys.

Also took the time to do a #3 piston rebuild on a 02 XLT in the mean time.

Thread Information