Polaris Virage I EMM issues

K447 Read a lot of your posts got some great info thanks.

Picked up (2) 2002 Virage I about 35 hrs on each. Sold as is not running.

The 1st was straight forward new battery,plugs,oil and fresh gas and she ran great for 15 secs till I hit stop. Fixed a minor fuel leak replaced o rings at injector fitting. Will try longer in water when weather permits.

2nd one tried the same fix plugs etc. Still no start,no injector pulse, no spark, no fuel pressure, no power to capacitor. Suspected EMM based mostly on posts from this site and minimally on my experience as an auto tech. Substituted known good EMM from 1st PWC to second PWC and got injector pulse, fuel pressure, spark and she fired right up as well.

Didn't want to pay $1200 US for EMM from OE so I called the folks at DFI (got info from posts on this site) they seem adept and familiar with the Ficht EMM and its known flaws. Just shipped it to them and they state for $379 US they will rebuild my EMM and it will be better than OE. Will know next week how it turns out. Saved me about $800 Thanks.

The known good EMM from the 1st PWC had a 2004 date on it so hopefully that will last 2 or 3 more years before it gets shipped to DFI as well.

Any advice about these crafts if you will would be greatly appreciated. I have never owned a PWC till 3 days ago.
    Thanks again gents.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

I imagine you already know about my signature links, so you are well along the road to getting them running well and keeping them running.

Tip: Take some time to re-read and click through the provided pages and links. Especially the If you just bought a Polaris PWC, what should you do first? section.

Among other things you should pull the jet pumps and confirm everything is in good condition. Not that hard to do, and once you have done both, they will come apart easier the next time.

Plan on fixing the reverse levers, as they tend to get stiff. After repair the lever will move with two fingers.

If you have friends with 2-stroke carburetor PWC, they will not believe how long you can run a Virage i on a single tank of fuel. Impressive combination of fuel economy, hull size, performance and reasonably light overall hull weight.

Welcome to the Hulk DQ. Good price by the way on the EMM repair

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk

Plan on fixing the reverse levers, as they tend to get stiff. After repair the lever will move with two fingers.
    The reverse lever on one machine will barely move, the other machine is almost acceptable. They will be coming apart this week. I will post on the other thread started for that reapair. Thanks
    Last edited by K447; 04-24-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Thanks DQ1 for your post. Thanks for the post on EMM...will have to check out DFI technology. Great price I may add. Will have to update us on your progress.

No problem. They left me a message saying it was all set. I will call them back with payment info. I will post a follow up on the results once installed.

Call me a non risk taker. I chose DFI because I did not want to run the risk of having a lean condition with mis matched injectors. I would like to preserve the domes of the pistons since I have no way of knowing the flow rates on the injectors installed and they are already programmed to that EMM. I figured give those guys a shot. Some say flow rate programming doesnt matter and they may be correct if it works out to be a slightly rich condition. However I suspect that if it has a lean condition it would be similar to a carb having a lean condition which I know can burn up pistons.

So when I call DFI and if they tell me they could not retrieve the flow rates from injectors. I will seriously consider picking up 2 injectors with data disks and having them matched to the EMM

Greenhulk is pretty informative and factual. It reminds me of when I was working in an auto shop in 1998. We had this master tech in the shop who was awesome and would spend hours troubleshooting problems that other shops could not figure out. Once he pinpointed the problem he said that we need to find a better way of sharing information with other auto techs. He stated that most of the time the same things go wrong with the same vehicles and if we had a way to share the information we wouldn't have to spend hours and hours figuring out what others struggled with and solved. He was ahead of his time considering that it was 98

hey i have a 2000 kawasaki stx di jet ski and i called today to DFI and they said their price is $550 for all jet ski EMM repairs. How did you get that price $379? help please

pro253
    hey i have a 2000 kawasaki stx di jet ski and i called today to DFI and they said their price is $550 for all jet ski EMM repairs. How did you get that price $379? help please
    1st the repair seems to be flawless. They fixed the no start condition. Apparently there are 2 items which commonly fail on these Ficht EMM's. Both a capacitor and a driver go bad simultaneously. They state that one goes bad and causes the other to fail. Not sure which goes first.

Secondly I suspect that the $379 price was a miss quote on their end. I called before I shipped it out and wanted to see if they could handle the job. They had all of the right answers for my no start condition. When I called they were on the way out for the day and the last question I asked before shipping the unit to them was the price. They told me $379 So I shipped the unit out with a description of the problems and I also mentioned the $379 price they quoted me. I stated I authorize repairs and upgrades to the $379 they quoted and there was no need to call me with an estimate.

I have decided not to attach the receipt and spec sheet that they provided me because I suspect they simply made a mistake and I don't want to rub it in their face over the web.

On the spec sheet they have 2 generic prices listed $689 for repair and $329 for software upgrade with functional test. They circled the $689 price on the spec sheet but on the invoice they only charged me $379

Sorry I can't be of anymore help I didn't do or say anything special to them.

Thread Information