OEM driveshaft replacement? When?

Okay I really need to figure out and feel confident either way....whether or not to replace my OEM driveshaft on my '05 RXP with 160hrs on the shaft.

I dont tend to believe that its a commonly replaced, or frequently replaced item. Although, i am becoming a little paranoid. After my recent carbon seal mishap (SOMEHOW spitting the C-clip out from under the floating ring), I noticed the wear and tear on my splines at both ends of the driveshaft...

Besides the normal shiney markings on the splines from engagement with the crank and impeller, I see that there is also a little further wear into each spline on the impeller end ---> wear marks that can actually be felt ever slightly when rubbing across them with a light weight tool or blade. Im talking about just a tiny bit of wear, deeper than just a shiney mark.
    What im getting at is how much of this kind of wear could have come from the short amount of time the engine was running while the carbon seal/boot were loose from the C clip being spit out??

Otherwise, is this normal at 160hrs? And when are guys typically finding reason to replace these shafts? At what general hrs. of age, and for what physical reasons?

Thanks!
    sean

IDK, driveshafts seem to work until they get so bad they strip out the splines. However, a couple thoughts to consider. The driveshaft has curved splines to accommodate deflection and mis-alignment. Without either deflection or mis-alignment, there should be no wear. So wear implies you have on or the other going on. Usually the prop side wears more in the absence of lube; I suspect the lube (grease) in the prop end was either caked or gone when you took it apart.

If the ski were mine, I would check the alignment and the condition of the motor mounts. Mounts can soften with age. If alignment and mounts are good, make sure to use a good lube on the prop splines.

I read your post on the C-clip issue, but didn't see if anyone asked if the clip went on the shaft with force. (it should be hard to put on and take off...) The stainless collars tend to get sticky onto the shaft over time, so when you take it off and clean it and lube it, it allows it to float on the shaft much easier, so if you did have some force that would move it, it would move much easier. And if the C-clip isn't stuck on good, then it could fall off in this event.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Usually the prop side wears more in the absence of lube; I suspect the lube (grease) in the prop end was either caked or gone when you took it apart.

I read your post on the C-clip issue, but didn't see if anyone asked if the clip went on the shaft with force. (it should be hard to put on and take off...) The stainless collars tend to get sticky onto the shaft over time, so when you take it off and clean it and lube it, it allows it to float on the shaft much easier, so if you did have some force that would move it, it would move much easier. And if the C-clip isn't stuck on good, then it could fall off in this event.
    Well, i do use grease on the splines at least to help out with assembly, but on the prop side, there was NO cone being used...but even if there were a cone in use, any lube would still get washed out evenually with incoming water to the pump, correct?

The C-clip was/is about as easy to push on as it was to knock it off the very first time. You can feel a little resistance and then suddenly it pops right on....talking finger strength here - when removed or reinstalled. But in a thread before i ever removed it, I was told that it should knock right off easily.

Are you saying the stainless collar (floating ring) is supposed to get sticky and lock itself in position - and that no lube should be used for assembly, helping the O rings roll down the driveshaft?

Ah, I see, no cone. Yes; one of the purposes of the cone is to keep the lube on the prop splines.

The C-clip should take more than slight finger pressure to put it on or take off. It should take quite a bit of pressure to put on or take off.

No; I am not saying you shouldn't use lube on the collar. You have to have lube or the o-rings will chafe and not seal right. I am just saying that the probable reason you had the problem show up when it did was because you cleaned and lubed things up so that the collar could move easily. (the forces that made this happen couldn't overcome the collar that had become sticky over time.)

Its so common to run with no cone though....maybe its no big deal enough to worry about (the splines)? Meanwhile, I have a speedfreaks cone that will go in soon, but if i remember correctly, that one doesnt even seal the shaft from incoming water anyway.

On the collar and clip issue, are you saying that all i should need to do is replace the C clip (which i plan to do regardless of course) and back off on the grease a little, and this should not happen again?

I will try and take a pic of the splines, but im not confident the minor amount of wear will show up clearly enough in a pic.

Thread Information