Thread: Dumb Ass 101

+1

Dumb Ass 101

While building this engine I came across the following. In the process of reinstling the rotor and trigger wheel I figured I'd better order a new set of rotor screws just as the shop manual suggested. Got the new screws in so I went to do the install, flipped over to page 101 looking for the torque specs, there they were, bottom right side of page "15 N.m (133 lbf.ft) in crisscross pattern". You guys starting to get the picture? So I grabbed my handy little Snapon and proceeded to start the torque sequence, broughtem up to 50 lbf.ft. It was at this point I realized "oh shit", if I keep cranking on these they'll snap right off. At this point I went back to the book, double checked the type, realized there is a typo at the bottom right of that page. If I had been on my toes I would have caught this before destroying the bolts, 15 N.m should be 133 lbf.in or about 11 lbf.ft. After running this calculation 5-6 times in 4 directions I couldn't get to match what was in the book. So after sitting stareing in the book with a glaze I saw it, there it was, up in the left hand column of the same page was the correct torque spec without the typo......DAMN!!!! and they had it in BOLD print for that section.

Now to the question, once I get the second set of bolts ordered and in my hands does the 11 lbf.ft sound right? Just doesn't seem like enough torque to hold. Just thought I'd have a little fun with this since I can't continue without the bolts.

+1
    So they didn't break at 50ftlbs, interesting. I thought you torque them to 133inlbs and than put some angle on them can't remember exactly. CRS, refer to manual.

When you buy the OEM bolts, I think there is directions in the package.

+1
    If these are the flywheel bolts you are talking about, I think the torque should be 11 lbs + 50 degrees

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by krouchchocolate View Post
    If these are the flywheel bolts you are talking about, I think the torque should be 11 lbs + 50 degrees
    Your right, 11 lbf.ft or 133 lbf.in + 50 degree. Book still has a typo, just so happens my eyes went straight to the wrong torque spec first. Glad I posted this due to being frustrated I missed the 50 degrees. I was sure the 11 lbf.ft wasn't tight enough but was pissed enough to put everything away at the time. I ordered a new set from Jerry so I can get it right!!

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jp1300r View Post
    So they didn't break at 50ftlbs, interesting. I thought you torque them to 133inlbs and than put some angle on them can't remember exactly. CRS, refer to manual.

When you buy the OEM bolts, I think there is directions in the package.
    Naw JP, they dont break at 50 lbf.ft but not sure how much more they will take!!! It sometimes helps to read all documentation packaged with parts. Flip the page over and there it is "15 N.m (11 lbf.ft) in a crisscross sequence. Finish tightning bolts with an additional 50* rotation with a torque angle gauge".

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    I think all these manuals have a few typo's here and there that you have to watch out for. The 04 shop manual shows a torque spec of 22 ft. lbs. for the SC housing bolts They should be like 7.4 lbs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	235282

+1
    I also misread one of the torque's when installing back my pto cover. I think the PTO cover bolts are suppose to be tigtened at 7 lbs, but i misread it for the motor mount screws, and screwed them at 17lbs instead! Snapped that bolt in half. Luckily I didn't strip the threads in the engine.

Thread Information