Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation 2000 Polaris SLX 1200 STILL OVERHEATING!!!!???

I had a thread a week or so ago about this.

I fixed all the fuel issues, its running like a bat out of hell........until, it overheats and the computer governs it down. It will run fine all day as long as you dont run it full throttle. When I run it for about 15-30 sec wide open, it flashes the warning light, the MFD reads HOT, and it governs the ski down. Let it sit for about 5-10 sec and its running fine again, it will repeat the same process all day.

What I've tried:
    Back Flushed the cooling system
    Checked several cooling hoses for blockages
    Pulled the head off the first cylinder (closest to the fuel tank) there was NO sand or debris.
    Blew air through several different cooling lines, including the one going into the exhaust manifold.

I'm at a loss. The only two things I can come up with is replace all the cooling lines (which I doubt is the problem) or replace the temp sensor. I have a SLH 700 and a Genesis 1200, I could pull the temp sensor off one of them and see if it fixes the problem......Not real sure where its located.

Hopefully yall have some ides, thanks for all the help so far!

Not sure about yours but my 700 virage has the water intake at the end of the jet pump; make sure the screen is clean. Also make sure your o-ring in the same area is not leaking out instead of going through the engine.

I checked it for being clogged, but how do I check the o-ring?

Check and clean your thermostat it is located in the black piece on the end of your cooling rail.

On the o-ring leaking, I cannot say for sure, I only was thinking that because just today when I was flushing mine and while on the hose I saw water coming out from that area like it was leaking at the o-ring. I figured I better check mine because if it’s leaking while flushing it will leak while riding as well. I had pulled the jet about a week ago when I changed out my driveshaft that’s when I realized the screen was clogged. When I took the unit off I was glad I didn’t just try to clean it from the outside; internally it was clogged. But this ski had been setting up for years…..

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Is the engine actually getting too hot?

Can you put your hand on every part of the engine and exhaust pipe without burning yourself?

The temp sensor is part number 2410188, which was only used in the 2000-2001 SLX.

Item 1 in this diagram. Mounted into the exhaust pipe with a small bracket.

The thermostat has been removed. No, I dont think the ski is getting to hot. I can touch all three cyls, and the exhaust and it did not burn me, the 1st cyl felt the warmest, but could leave my hand on it (however slightly uncomfortable). I have a infrared thermometer, I can use on the motor, any idea what temps it should read?

Is there a way to bypass the temp sensor, or is it a part that should be replaced?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by koryk View Post
    ... I have a infrared thermometer, I can use on the motor, any idea what temps it should read?

Is there a way to bypass the temp sensor, or is it a part that should be replaced?
    Thermostat specified temp is 143F. Temp sensor trip is supposed to be 160F.

New temp sensor lists at $50, but perhaps you can find a good used one.

You can test your sensor by removing it and putting it in a pot of water on the stove. Hook up your ohm-meter to the Tan wire and the metal shell and slowly heat the water while watching a thermometer.

+1
    If you can hold your hand for 5-10 seconds on your cyls or exhaust then it isn't running too hot. The last thing I would attempt if not already done is remove the exhaust pipe and hit it with high pressure water all around the jackets, and clean out the screen filter as well, this is the hose fitting above the 4 bolts on the mag side. Could just be a dodgy sensor as well

Some pics of your exhaust setup may help any pics go a long way here to help you diagnose your problem. Often a member may spot something for you.

Put it back on the water, and got it good and warmed up, got it to trip the sensor a few times and got the infrared thermometer out. I couldn't get anything to read over 116 degrees. I tried the heads, cyls, exhaust manifold on all three cyls, exhaust pipe, and nothing was hot to the touch or with the thermometer. Guess I'll try the sensor. Thanks for all the help!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information