96 Polaris sl750 died

Was out on the lake today cruising for about 2 hours when all the sudden my ski just died on me. I cranked and cranked on the primary tank and got it to sputter at first then nothing, then switched to reserve and after many many attempts it restarted. My gas gauge is broke but there still appears to be gas in the tank and theres fuel in both lines coming from the tank. I noticed several times today that when i'd goose the throttle there was a slight stumble. I know the fuel pumps on these are weak but would would that be an intermittent problem? Wondering if something got hot then cooled down and it was just dumb luck it restarted after I switched to the reserve? The thing acted like it was running out of gas when loading it up on the trailer. Once I got home (less than 5 mins) I fired it up and could mash the gas with no hesitation. I guess a fuel pump is coming for sure, but is there anything else thats prone to failure that would cause this? I just dont want to get stranded again!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Check cylinder compression.

Running on the trailer with no water load on the jet pump the engine can seem fine.

Have you done the recommended maintenance for your Fuji engine, especially regarding the fuel system and carb rebuilds?

Hopefully its not a compression issue. Once it did fire up it ran great. I mashed the gas back to the boat ramp and not a hiccup. Come to think of it there was one other thing I did when it finally started. I pulled the choke and immediately after is when it finally started back up. I've read that may have something to do with a check valve? Also today when I opened the fuel cap a TON of pressure was released.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish45 View Post
    Hopefully its not a compression issue. Once it did fire up it ran great. I mashed the gas back to the boat ramp and not a hiccup. Come to think of it there was one other thing I did when it finally started. I pulled the choke and immediately after is when it finally started back up. I've read that may have something to do with a check valve? Also today when I opened the fuel cap a TON of pressure was released.

The hissing is a sure sign of a bad tank vent, which will cause your symptoms.

ya I'm leaning towards that too from the research ive done. Where exactly is this tank vent? Is it something that can be cleaned or does it need to be replaced? And just curious but how does this cause the engine to die? Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish45 View Post
    ...Where exactly is this tank vent?

Is it something that can be cleaned or does it need to be replaced?

And just curious but how does this cause the engine to die? Thanks!
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post1335619

As the engine uses fuel from the tank, the check valve must allow air into the tank. If the venting valve is stuck closed, the tank develops a vacuum which prevents proper fuel flow to the engine.

ah ok that makes perfect sense. Thanks for all your replies, very helpful!

Thread Information