Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thinking about a 1996 XP

I've began looking for a second Sea-Doo for less than $2000, I stumbled upon a 1996 Xp with a trailer that claims to have a fresh (But not new) rebuild on it with the following mods: Ported and polished engine, factory racing pipe, custom water routing, r&d cylinder head, msd water injection, solas x1 prop, worx intake grate, r&d nozzle, buckshot intake and carbs." Would any of those mods pose any reliability/longevity or be a hassle? Also, are there any key areas in which to look at on this ski?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    your looking at a wrencher. the buckshot carbs are highly sensitive to humidity and temperature changes and need adjusted often to run. the Factory pipe likes to eat pistons too..I had this almost exact setup and it lasted one month before I went back to stock carbs and flame arrestors, stock exhaust, hi compression head, prop and nozzle kit. keep it simple and enjoy your summer instead of wrenching it away...trust me

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    your looking at a wrencher. the buckshot carbs are highly sensitive to humidity and temperature changes and need adjusted often to run. the Factory pipe likes to eat pistons too..I had this almost exact setup and it lasted one month before I went back to stock carbs and flame arrestors, stock exhaust, hi compression head, prop and nozzle kit. keep it simple and enjoy your summer instead of wrenching it away...trust me
    Very true statement, it may not be the fastest top end ski on the water, but more fun riding than wrenching. Well said!

+1
    Agree with the above posters, just as airborne said, that ski is a wrencher. It's not the end of the world, but definitely not rec friendly. Steer clear if your just looking to have some fun.

If your budget is 2k, and you definitely want the 96, you can find a nice unmolested ski for that price. Keep your eyes peeled.

you should ask the guy if he still has any of the stock stuff. That would be a DECENTLY reliable setup with stock carbs, prop, and head.

Actually I would definitely go that route if your mechanically inclined enough to swap the stock stuff over. If the pipe is in good shape and its a spec 2, you could sell it get almost $400 for the pipe alone

+1
    i have a all stock running water ready 96XP i'll sell you for $2000. i'm in Cocoa, FL if your near

Quote Originally Posted by burton2323 View Post
    you should ask the guy if he still has any of the stock stuff. That would be a DECENTLY reliable setup with stock carbs, prop, and head.

Actually I would definitely go that route if your mechanically inclined enough to swap the stock stuff over. If the pipe is in good shape and its a spec 2, you could sell it get almost $400 for the pipe alone
    I emailed the guy and gave a low ball offer of $1000 (Which is the KBB trade in). If I could get it for that price I know a few people who could help me out with it.

Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    i have a all stock running water ready 96XP i'll sell you for $2000. i'm in Cocoa, FL if your near
    Sorry, I'm in MO. Thanks anyway.

I don't have my heart set on the 96 XP. I'm looking for most any high performance 2 seaters (SPX, XP, GSXL, or Ultra 150).

A random question, do the 97+ XPs and GSXLs have reverse?

+1
    thats kool, good luck !!

out of the skis you just listed, you will definitely have more fun on an xp. (spx is the same thing) No other hull rides like the x4 hulls do

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GTXDI View Post
    I emailed the guy and gave a low ball offer of $1000 (Which is the KBB trade in). If I could get it for that price I know a few people who could help me out with it.

Sorry, I'm in MO. Thanks anyway.

I don't have my heart set on the 96 XP. I'm looking for most any high performance 2 seaters (SPX, XP, GSXL, or Ultra 150).

A random question, do the 97+ XPs and GSXLs have reverse?
    No reverse on the XP's and GSXL's...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information