Water in fuel tank

While cleaning my 2007 Speedster 150 with 215hp I got a lot of water in my fuel tank. What is the best way to drain the tank. I was think about syphoning the tank but not sure if that would get all the water? Thanks for the help.
    Captain Bob

+1
    Either siphon it, or remove it. Siphoning is easier. Take a towel and a piece of wood or something and dry it out while holding the other end when you are done. Just don't put the key on or you will prime the rail with water.

Ok, called the only dealer that was open on a Monday with in 500 miles and he told me there is no easy way to get the water out. Siphon or pull the tank. Pulling the tank is not an option. It likes like you need to pull the motor first. LOL I removed the drain plug on the port side. Ran the sipnon hose through the drain plug hole. Remove the center seat, removed the round access hatch. Removed the round rim for the access hatch to allow easer access. I cleaned as much as possible before removing the pump. Removed the fuel pump. There are about 10 self locking nuts 5/16 nut driver worked great. Then remove the washers. Be very careful not to drop nuts or washers, take your time. I used a small pry bar to break the seal between the rubber gasket and fuel pump. I removed the fuel pump, there is about one quart of fuel in the pump. Just pull it up, you may need to play with the float to get it out. Do some thing with the gas. I also dryed the filter on the bottom of the pump. It had some water beeds. Now you have easy access to the tank. I had a lot of sand around the set and access hatch. After siphoning about twenty gals of fuel and water i still have about 1/2 gal in the tank. I used a one gal bleach bottle, vacum, siphon hose and black tape for the next part. Cut the handle of the bleach bottle and put the siphon hose in the bottom part of the bleach bottle. Put the hose in the bleach bottle about two inch and tape. Put the vacumme hose on the top of the bleach bottle and tape it. Tape the other end of the cut off handle. Now, turn on the vacum and use the hose to suck up the excess fuel and water. The bleach bottle will collapse but not a big deal just keep sucking. After I got all I could get I used a shop towel and wiped the tank dry. I put it all back together, used a bottle of Sea Foam, not sure if it helped. Filled up the take with 98 octan gas and cranked it up. It ran for about 30 sec. then shut off. I keep cranking and it keep spitting and sputting and finally cranked and runs better than ever. Hope this never happens to you but if it does maybe this posting will help. Captain Bob

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
    Ok, called the only dealer that was open on a Monday with in 500 miles and he told me there is no easy way to get the water out. Siphon or pull the tank. Pulling the tank is not an option. It likes like you need to pull the motor first. LOL I removed the drain plug on the port side. Ran the sipnon hose through the drain plug hole. Remove the center seat, removed the round access hatch. Removed the round rim for the access hatch to allow easer access. I cleaned as much as possible before removing the pump. Removed the fuel pump. There are about 10 self locking nuts 5/16 nut driver worked great. Then remove the washers. Be very careful not to drop nuts or washers, take your time. I used a small pry bar to break the seal between the rubber gasket and fuel pump. I removed the fuel pump, there is about one quart of fuel in the pump. Just pull it up, you may need to play with the float to get it out. Do some thing with the gas. I also dryed the filter on the bottom of the pump. It had some water beeds. Now you have easy access to the tank. I had a lot of sand around the set and access hatch. After siphoning about twenty gals of fuel and water i still have about 1/2 gal in the tank. I used a one gal bleach bottle, vacum, siphon hose and black tape for the next part. Cut the handle of the bleach bottle and put the siphon hose in the bottom part of the bleach bottle. Put the hose in the bleach bottle about two inch and tape. Put the vacumme hose on the top of the bleach bottle and tape it. Tape the other end of the cut off handle. Now, turn on the vacum and use the hose to suck up the excess fuel and water. The bleach bottle will collapse but not a big deal just keep sucking. After I got all I could get I used a shop towel and wiped the tank dry. I put it all back together, used a bottle of Sea Foam, not sure if it helped. Filled up the take with 98 octan gas and cranked it up. It ran for about 30 sec. then shut off. I keep cranking and it keep spitting and sputting and finally cranked and runs better than ever. Hope this never happens to you but if it does maybe this posting will help. Captain Bob
    Pull the hose off the injector rail just a clip and then turn the key on since the water goes to bottom of the tank the pump will suck it out....... keep priming till you get it all out..

Thread Information