Question 95 GTX 657cc - Spring Maintenance Questions

I bought this machine 2 years ago and it runs really well other than late last year. The fuel lines are plugging up the carbs. I have all the parts necessary to clean the carbs and replace the fuel lines. Is it recommended to rebuild the carbs or to simply clean and replace the jets/ needle/seat etc. I will also change the pump oil as well. What else is recommended while I am going through this machine from head to toe.

Any suggestions are appreciated,

Thanks

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    I would replace the needle and seats the jets will be fine. I would grease the PTO and other than that give it a good cleaning and coat of wax.

I started to take the machine apart. I am running into a few difficulties removing the throttle and oil injection linkages. There is a rod that runs between the two carburetors. How do you remove that plastic end fitting? I guess I need to know where I unhook the linkages. Also is there a trick to getting a wrench in to remove the 4 carburetor nuts to remove the carbs?

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

To clarify when you say grease the PTO you are referencing the grease nipple on the PTO right? I greased in the fall until the rubber boot swelled slightly.

Thanks again for the reply's.

+1
    that arm just pops off. you need to get some allen keys to stick down between the carbs like theseallen hex keysyes im refering to the grease zerk...sounds like you got it.

My machine has nuts that hold the carbs on, no hex bolts. The nuts have little to no room for removal. It almost looks like I have to remove the rotary valve housing and then try to remove the carb nuts. I looked at my serial numbers last night and the motor s/n is 4247779 and the hull s/n is ZZN943780494 which I translate to a 1994 GTX 657 which is actually a 650cc. Maybe the carb set up is a little different from a 94 to a 95.

I'm a little nervous removing the rotary valve as I have never messed around with one of these before. I do understand that if I remove it and the shaft turns the motor will require a re-timing.

I may talk to the dealer but I know I will get raped. I am going to redo all the fuel lines, remove the gas tank and clean and all other maintenance. I know for a fact the carbs are dirty just from pulling off the fuel lines. That sticky green gunk is everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    that arm just pops off. you need to get some allen keys to stick down between the carbs like theseallen hex keysyes im refering to the grease zerk...sounds like you got it.

Take a pic of what you are talking about and then we can help you take the carbs off.

Pictures attached

You can see the nuts are pretty much inaccesClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030742.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	235484Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030740.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	235485Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030741.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	235486Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030743.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	235487sible. Is there a trick to get the carb nuts off or do I need to remove the rotary cover or the 4 main bolts that hold the rotary valve on?

+1
    oh man! aint that a PIA! I would remove the rotary cover but be careful not to knock the valve plate off behind the cover.

No S!%$. I've been putting this task off because if it. I changed the fuel lines and the pump fluid last night. Will continue to investigate the proper procedure to remove the carbs. That rotary valve scares me a little.

Any more advice would be great.

Thanks guys.

Thread Information