2002 Seadoo GTX Issue

First I would like to say hello. As you can see, Im a new member here on Green Hulk. For the past few months, I have trolled the site and have been very impressed with the advice and help on this site.
    I recently bought a 2002 GTX (non-DI). It only had 36 hours and is in almost flawless shape. Im new to PWCs and have a few questions. Though I feel Im pretty mechanically inclined, two-strokes and PWCs are a gray area. I had a built 95 Mustang GT with Vortech Supercharger. I did the majority of the work myself, including the blower, fuel system, suspension, brakes and sound system. So I have a general understanding of most things mechanical.
    Two weekends ago, I took my new ski out for the first time and the wear ring went out after a few hours of riding. I changed the wear ring this weekend as well as the spark plugs. After I put everything together, I started up the ski in the driveway with hose attached and ran it for a few minutes (I know, ski on, water on, water off, ski off). I revved the motor a little to put some torque on the impellor to ensure everything was properly seated. Suddenly there was a loud bang/pop that sounded like metal. Initially I thought something let go in the motor. After the pop, it sounded like metal was bouncing around, the sound of the motor changed completely and the entire ski started to vibrate really badly. However, two-strokes are ugly sounding motors and Im not used to hearing them.
    In hopes, I thought that maybe the loud metal pop could have been from me not having the impellor properly seated with the drive shaft and it came loose under torque. I pulled the pump and reinstalled it. The splines were fine and not stripped out. The new neoprene gasket was still in place as well as the rubber grommet on the end of the impellor.
    I started the motor again with everything installed. It still runs rough with bad vibration. The metal clanking is still slightly present as well. I know idling two- strokes for an extended period of time isnt good. When my wear ring went out last weekend, I had to idle back to the boat ramp. That took me about 2 hours and I wasnt able to get the RPMs over 2,220 without cavitation. My question is do you think something let go in the motor? I find that surprising with only 39 hours in the meter. Or is it running rough from idling for such an extended period of time? Any input is greatly appreciated!
    I also would like to add that Im pretty sure my carbs need to be cleaned. Its very sluggish out of the hole. Wide open, RPMS usually run about 6,250. Every now and then itll all of a sudden take off and jump to 6,750. The previous owner did run the ski last season as well as add Sta-bil before he put it away for the winter. He would start it on occasion during the winter and run it for a few minutes. All I have done is add some fresh gas to the tank in hopes of flushing out the old gas. I know with all this ethanol in fuel now days, Im sure it has done a number on the carbs. I figured I would add this info incase this helps.
    Trey

+1
    Well since you obviousely removed the pump to change the wear ring did you ensure the thrust washer and bearing were properly seated? Some times if you're not careful the impeller shaft can pinch the thrust bearing but I'd suspect you'd notice that when you torqued the impeller and it bound up. How free did the impeller spin and how was wear ring clearance? It's good to check the clearance all the way around because when you install the 4 screws to secure the wear ring it is very easy to buckle the ring if you didn't pre-drill the holes good...I know from experience on that one. If you ideled back to the ramp fine and only thing you did was change the wear ring I can't see how anything motor wise got fried, check compression. What ripped up your wear ring? I wonder if your driveshaft got bent in whatever went through it? That would cause a nasty vibration. I'd be careful running it to much. I have an 01 GTX non carb and have been threw this.

I appreciate the response.

I assume the pump is properly seated since it appears to sit flush. I had a local Seadoo dealer (Jax Power Sports) install the wear ring since my pump is plastic. I heard that the freezer trick is a bit tricky with the plastic pumps. The dealer only charged me half an hour of labor ($50), so I figured I would save the frustration and have them do it. The impellor spins freely. I will check the compression later this week.
    What compromised my old wear ring is unknown. I was riding WOT for a few minutes, hit a small wake and then I felt the ski losing grip. I slowed down and went to give it gas again then it began to cavitate really bad. I ended up shearing off the entire black portion of the wear ring, just leaving the outer white part. The Seadoo dealer was surprised I was able to idle back. I have heard that these can go bad over time from the ski not being used.

+1
    Well if the driveshaft could possibly be out of round I think it would also show signs on the impeller as something mean would have gone through to do that and Jax would have told ya. You'd prob have some good dings inside the housing then also, is it a plastic pump housing? Did you happen to watch that driveshaft when you started it? If it's out of round it could be grinding away on the splines and making the noise you're hearing. Heard someone say they started their ski with no driveshaft...not sying I'd do that with no load at all on the motor but it would rule out an out of round driveshaft as the vibration would then go away. There really isn't much load out of water anyway. About the only way I'd do something like that is turning the idle way down and then I'd still check with someone else if this is ok to do. If Jax is local you might just say screw it and have them investigate.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    well if you heard a bang and then it started running rough I would assume that you spun a crank bearing. you could be dieseling a cylinder. I would pull the head and inspect. if you think that its the drive shaft, when you pulled it the first time you could have roll the drive shaft across the bench and see it it was bent and checked the splines on the drive shaft and the PTO. the motor would have stopped dead if the wearring was out of round. you can start the motor with out a drive shaft...doesnt hurt a thing. heck ive started my 951 without an exhaust before. as for your wear ring problem have you inspected the bearings in the pump? is there play in the prop?

Thread Information