Newbie with problems imagine that

Newbie with problems imagine that

I have 1998 yamaha xl 1200.

I think I have an electrical problem. I think I'm not getting any spark, where should I start? I've already changed the spark plugs twice. How do I test and what do I test to find the problem.

Pulled out my ski to get it ready for the summer. Installed new battery changed spark plugs. Tried cranking, was turning over but wouldn't start. Tried that for a little while (5 min) finally started. Ran for at least 5 min then started to run rough gave it a little gas to keep it running did that for about a min or 2 then let off it ran for about 30 seconds the died. Now it won't start.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

+1
    ohm out the stator

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    How old is the gas? Was it treated before you put it away? was it winterized?

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    ohm out the stator
    Obviously I don't know what i'm doing but my question is if it started and then died and now it's turning over just won't start wouldn't that eliminate the starter?

Quote Originally Posted by XLT Chad View Post
    How old is the gas? Was it treated before you put it away? was it winterized?
    The gas is from last summer. Yes I put sta-bil in it. It was not winterized.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blandry504 View Post
    Obviously I don't know what i'm doing but my question is if it started and then died and now it's turning over just won't start wouldn't that eliminate the starter?
    I meant stator, not starter. The pulsar coils in the stator trigger the ignition coils to spark. You can check them by doing a resistance test with an ohmmeter.
    But I may have jumped the gun here. Make sure you actually don't have spark before you go testing the ignition system. Now that I reread your post ,your problem sounds like it could be fuel related

A couple of people told me that also. If I drain the old fuel and re fuel. Will the old fuel left in the line eventually pass through from trying to start and get the new fuel through?

+1
    yes it will. One good technique I've found for getting the fuel out of the tank is to disconnect the fuel return and the fuel feed(to the carbs.
    Then put the fuel selector in the Reserve position.
    Then I put the fuel feed hose in a gas can
    And used a hand air pump for footballs and basketballs to to pump pressure into the the fuel tank by hooking the pump up to the return line.
    The pressure makes the gas flow out of the tank into the gas can.

A pump like this has the needle for basketballs, but also has a plastic cone shaped fitting for pumping the kids inflatable toys/swimming pools. The cone fitting fits well into the return line.

I got it running. Took spark plug out of first cylinder diped in gas and put it back in. She cranked up on the first try. Been starting it for the last couple of days and itstarts on the first crank every time. Every once in a while it will kinda pop a little or sound like it's bogging down while it's running so I'm thinking the whole time it was the gas. Just weird that it would start and a little gas on the spark plug got it running and now it runs every time. I'm just glad it didn't cost me anything. And it's running. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Good deal, have a great riding season!

Thread Information