2001 Genesis No power in water

Hey guys im new to polaris I have always ran sea doo im looking at buying a 2001 genesis for a coworker. He said that last summer at the end of the season it just lost power in the water it runs fine and will rap up out of the water but it has no power in the water I was just wondering if this would be a easy fix and what I need to look for The price is reasonable and would be a steel if there wasent much to fix thanks.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Fuel injected or carburetor engine?

Check cylinder compression. Throttle held wire open, all spark plugs out. Should be within 5% between highest to lowest readings.

what is good compression on these moters

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Im not real sure on the carb or fuel enjected all i have so far are a few pictures I just dident know if there was somthing commen on these skis that cause them to loose power when they are under a load I know I had a sea doo xp do the same thing once and it ended up being a spark plug. This is allot more moter then the 94 sea doo xps that I have I just dont want to have to drop alot to get it on the water!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter66436 View Post
    what is good compression on these motors?

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

I'm not real sure on the carb or fuel injected all i have so far are a few pictures I just didn't know if there was something common on these skis that cause them to loose power when they are under a load I know I had a sea doo xp do the same thing once and it ended up being a spark plug. This is allot more motor then the 94 sea doo xps that I have I just don't want to have to drop a lot to get it on the water!!
    120 PSI give or take. The more important thing is that all cylinders be very close.

Carb'ed engines have the spark plugs sticking straight up on top of the engine. Fuel injected have the spark plugs angled to the side.

Tip: Correct spark plugs are important. If the wrong plugs are installed it may not run properly.

Carbs versus fuel injection is a key factor that needs to be determined so we can help you determine the problem. Post a pic of the top of the engine if your unsure. Cheers.

Thread Information