Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

HELP! 1998 Seadoo XP limited engine failure???

HI guys,
    Just joined a few minutes ago to ask a specific question. Yesterday I went out on the lake on my 98 XP limited and rode for a few hours taking breaks in between. I pulled out my lake map and wanted to go to this huge green bridge that was about 5 miles up the lake so I took off and got there and took a look around then spotted and island and pulled up and took a rest. Got back on my ski then when I was almost back the ski died. I went to start it up and heard some noise that wasn't normal, sounded like there was some metal scraping, I did run it from 5000 RPM up to 6 and 7000 consistently on the way there and back and made the trip twice it was on the second time back. The engine turned over but wouldn't start and sounded bad. I've had two stokes in the past and have ran them before, but forgot that it's good to rev a 2 stroke but not keep it reved that high for a period of time thats like 5 miles. I didn't even think about it? Anyone know what might be wrong and what I could do to fix this. I'm ready to spend some money, and am wanting to try to do this myself.

Thanks,
    Jonathan in GA.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    welcome to GH! if your hearing piston slap I would dso a compression test and then if its bad pull the head and inspect before taking the whole thing apart.

Just rebuilt the same ski - they very easy if you take it slow and get a manual.

Yeah compression test is the first thing - if compressions not similar then it's piston/bore damage.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan911 View Post
    HI guys,
    Got back on my ski then when I was almost back the ski died. I went to start it up and heard some noise that wasn't normal, sounded like there was some metal scraping, I did run it from 5000 RPM up to 6 and 7000 consistently on the way there and back and made the trip twice it was on the second time back. .
    Has this ski been sunk or ingested water at all, maybe last summer ? Water going into these engines usually kills them if you dont get it out properly. I would want to know why this thing has died so it doesn't happen again.

Can you check your fuel filter for any sludge, green/brown goo ? Has the fuel lines been changed over because the OEM ones rot from the inside and block up fuel passages in the carbys and will lean seize these things ? You may have to give us a bit of history on the craft before any conclusions can be reached.Usually when you tear it down it becomes obvious where the problem lies.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    i've run the 2 strokes that long at that rpm for years fluctuating the throttle hear and there and never had an issue.just take the guys advice on here and dont be afraid to ask questions either because if YOU dont know then its NOT a dumb question..goodluck

Hey again,
    Wow, didn't know I'd get such a quick response and such good advice too, thanks guys so much. I did do a service on the ski before I started riding them this spring, in this XP I changed the plugs, oil filter, and two fuel filters, one above the tank and the other fuel filter on the inside of the carb almost under a plate, really really small. Guess in a couple days I'm gonna start working on it tomorrow, gonna hook up the hose and see what happens, if the same thing then I'll pull the plugs then the heads I guess. I guess I'm going to be looking for loose metal and dings and scrapes. The fuel lines were replaced along with the wear ring the man told me that bought the ski from. I test drove it for 35mins before buying and it really ran awesome and has until the other day. Oh, yeah, I flipped it last week, 2 times. Back to back, I was sitting on it, with the engine off,( I had no idea how easy this ski flips over, the right foot trench filled with water the went to shift my weight with the leg that the trench was filled with and ploop! )and went to stand up to adjust my knee brace and flip flop. Got back on, and FLIP FLOP!!! I started it up and it idled for like 5 minutes and gradually giving it gas I started to ride again. Rode it for I'd say like 8 hours after that then this happened. As soon as it flipped though I had it flipped back within 5-1- seconds I'd say because I did panic a bit, don't know why was just a bit uneasy feeling. Well, I'm actually excited to dig in on this project and see what comes of it. I pray I can do it. I'll keep checking to see you guys responses.
    Thanks,
    Jonathan in GA.

+1
    there are two filter screens in the carbs ( 1 in each) like the one you describe. also did you flip the ski the correct way when you rolled it back over? there is a reason that there is only one way. from the sounds of it you may have injested some water. when you changed the oil filter did you make sure that it was feeding through before you started the motor? also, for future reference and insurance, any time you mess with the oil injection its always safe to premix a tank to make sure that the oil injection system is working correctly.
    before you pull the head do a compression check then if the readings are way off from 135-140 psi +/- 5 psi you need some top end work.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    you mentioned the "OIL FILTER" , you do meant the long white round one one the the bottom oil tank line and if so are you you bleed ALL the air out? because airborne i think is absolutley correct on the FAIL SAFE premix thing...

Yes, I did flip it back over the same way man, but you know what, when I changed the oil filter I didn't check to make sure it was feeding back, what a stupid mistake, guess i thought it'd work AUTOMATICALLY, it did run for three outings though, would it of taken that long if something was wrong? I did notice that a little oil was used but not all that much? I filled up the gas tank three times but didn't need to add any oil, I though it was just using very little. I'm going to be made an example of from this ski and me being silly with stupid mistakes, but, I'm going to learn a lot also, I can tell. What do I need to buy to check the compression man? I'll check back soon. Thanks for the input too. I've already learned so much.
    Thanks,
    Jonathan in GA.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan911 View Post
    Yes, I did flip it back over the same way man, but you know what, when I changed the oil filter I didn't check to make sure it was feeding back, what a stupid mistake, guess i thought it'd work AUTOMATICALLY, it did run for three outings though, would it of taken that long if something was wrong? I did notice that a little oil was used but not all that much? I filled up the gas tank three times but didn't need to add any oil, I though it was just using very little. I'm going to be made an example of from this ski and me being silly with stupid mistakes, but, I'm going to learn a lot also, I can tell. What do I need to buy to check the compression man? I'll check back soon. Thanks for the input too. I've already learned so much.
    Thanks,
    Jonathan in GA.
    no need to be made an example of. Ive been there...heck I think we all have been there. how do you think that we know so much about these? trial and error before I found GH. Just to share a personal experience, when I blew my first motor, it was just another day on the water. I took off and got about 2 miles up river then all of the sudden the oil light came on. I thought that it was a glitch as that light as never come on before and I just filled to oil tank. so as I was coming back to the dock the ski quit and wouldnt start. long story short the oil pump came apart and drained the oil tank. blown motor. then I found myself addicted to GH.

What you need is a cheap compression gauge from Auto Zone it dosent matter what comes up on the gauge as long as it is with in +/- 5 psi. I think that they are like $25-30.

Just a rule of thumb...with a two stroke seadoo its three tanks of gas to a tank of oil.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information