Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

chime in pitch guru's

i have a 15/19 3 blade "riva" prop that spins about 8500 but cavitates pretty bad out of the hole and real bad off a corner.

i also have a 4 blade x prop stocker bent to 11/22 spins 8060/8100 and doesn't cavitate one bit.

looking for some direction on pitch to make them both spin 8700 with as little cavitation as possible. i have the watcon gauge and am not afraid to use it....

thanks guys

+1
    Have you checked the clearance between the 3 blade and the wear ring? Something isnt right if it is cavitating out of corners.

+1
    3 blades create a lot of pressure and cause the carbon seal to open up to release the pressure which creates your problem you're having. Are you running a SS wear ring or OEM? I know when I was running the Rad4 shaft seal I had ZERO cavitation but after I sank I went back to OEM seal & back came the cavitation out of the hole & in turns.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    you guys are flippin smart, who would think that the carbon seal would do that! so i guess you could put zip ties in the ribs of the bellow to keep it from doing that,right?

Banned User
    +1
    Clearance is good on a plastic wear ring with the 3blade. The whole seal setup is new but if it creates that much pressure i suppose it could be the problem

how about the 4blade what do you guys think? can i just take some off the trailing edge?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sea-one View Post
    you guys are flippin smart, who would think that the carbon seal would do that! so i guess you could put zip ties in the ribs of the bellow to keep it from doing that,right?
    Good luck with the zip ties..With the pressure the 3 blades create,the zip ties ive used didnt stand a chance..i went a different route and it works perfect...

Banned User
    +1
    Care to elaborate or is that secret staying in the squirrle garage?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    Care to elaborate or is that secret staying in the squirrle garage?
    LMAO!!!!!!I use two rubber O-Rings..I think they are 2 3/8 inch...they fit nice and tight in the grooves and wont break under hard acceleration....Duke is the one i owe the credit to on this one..he steered me on to this..

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    LMAO!!!!!!I use two rubber O-Rings..I think they are 2 3/8 inch...they fit nice and tight in the grooves and wont break under hard acceleration....Duke is the one i owe the credit to on this one..he steered me on to this..
    I have an o-ring between the rubber boot and the housing side to put more pressure on the boot. Never thought about ties or an o-ring between the ribs on the boot. Scott, do you have a pic of that, and did it help with cavitation out of the hole? I have some tie straps I could try. They are about 3/8" wide and fairly thick.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Excellent Idea! I'm a BIG fan of 3 blades, especially on RXP-X's, night and day difference in bottom end acceleration and grip through turns. O-rings! genius! Leave it to Duke, he's always got the trick solutions

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information