Wink How to reset the working hours on the jet ski polaris 785 Pro

How to reset the working hours on the jet ski polaris 785 pro,2000, and if at all can do it...
    Ty for your reply,Daniel Croatia!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Apparently there is a method using the front panel buttons to reset the hour meter, but I have never seen it documented anywhere.

Sometimes the MFD hour meter will spontaneously reset the counter to zero, but it is unpredictable when it will do so. Sometimes it happens while reconnecting the battery.

Hello K-447 ..
    Somewhere I saw on Greenhulk forum has written to the wire connected to reset ...
    Now you can not find ...
    The talks were to merge the two wires (orange and?) ..
    I took a second to write that the CDI has 350 hours, and my old one was 90 hours, and to prove that the sale does not have much, but it reset ..
    Greetings from the Croatian

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by deba-os View Post
    ... Somewhere I saw on Greenhulk forum has written to the wire connected to reset ...
    Now you can not find ...
    The talks were to merge the two wires (orange and?) ..
    I took a second to write that the CDI has 350 hours, and my old one was 90 hours, and to prove that the sale does not have much, but it reset ..
    Greetings from the Croatian
    The only documented reset that I am aware of is for the MFI displays (Virage and Genesis) and relates to resetting the MFI security code, not the engine hour counter.

I sure wish someone knew how to reset that hour meter to what it was when I took the battery out last fall? I went and puchased a new battery this year so I can sell my 2002 Genesis and when I hooked up the battery I was shocked. My hour meter went from around 22 hours to 555.3 now I have someone coming to look at it with 22 hours on it and I have to try to explain why it says otherwise. The guy came looked said it was really a nice SKI checked it all out and everything then he hit the pump switch woke up the MFD and BAM 555.3 hours and he asked me what happen to the 22 hours I had in my ad? I tried to explain I installed a new battery told him I would show him on line that this is a known problem but he wouldnt have anything to do with it. He said something didnt sound right so got in his car and left, so I go back on craigslist take the hour reading out so it didnt say a word about the hours and then two days later I see a post about a scam to sell a ski with 22 hours but when they showed up it had 555.3 so I knew he was talking about mine. I was this close > < to selling that thing but that STUPID HOUR METER SCREWED ME, so if anyone knows how to get it back to what it should be let me know ASAP because then I will take a picture of it and post it in all my new ads but in the meantime here it sits inside my trailer waiting to go somewhere soon I hope. I even tried to tell this guy look how clean it is how can a PWC with that many hours be so clean but he wanted nothing to do with it and if I try to sell with that many hours on it the price just went down. I had this thing from NEW but family health stopped us from riding it so here it sits waiting for a fix. heck I would even take it to a dealer if I knew they could reset it, and one last thing when the hour meter jumped I also lost my code that I set to start the thing and couldnt remember the factory code because it was long ago I reset it. I had to go looking for the manuel to find out the factory code so thats OK but that hour meter is going to be the death of me, any help would be great.
    Tony

+1
    You will never reset an MFD back to a designated number of hours. And there is no magical key combination on the MFD to do so either. The MFD uses an eprom (Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory) chip to store the hour count, therefore it can be erased back to zero. The fact that many people have MFD's that mysteriously reset themselves proves this. They are typically erased under UV light, so this is something that CAN be done if you expose an eprom to a strong UV light for an hour or so. There is a formula I recall, it's a bit of rocket science though. You can pick up an eprom UV eraser from ebay for around 15 bucks, but you should desolder and resolder the chip when done - which might be difficult as these chips are small and machine soldered. And you will also have to crack open the MFD, which is factory sealed but it can be done there are some threads on this here which look at rejuvenating faded lcd's on these devices.

Now thinking about MFD's spontaneously resetting themselves, I have had this happen myself and there would have been no UV light present so perhaps a short of the pins may also work I recall some computer eproms you could short pins 12-24 being the diagonally opposite ones to clear bios information........

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by urugol View Post
    You will never reset an MFD back to a designated number of hours. And there is no magical key combination on the MFD to do so either.

The MFD uses an eprom (Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory) chip to store the hour count, therefore it can be erased back to zero. The fact that many people have MFD's that mysteriously reset themselves proves this. They are typically erased under UV light....
    MFI is not MFD, they are different things. Genesis and Virage use MFI display, not MFD.

The hour counter on all displays (MFD and MFI) is stored in EEPROM, not EPROM, so no UV light erasure.

MFD are known to randomly reset the hour counter to zero during battery connection. MFI are not.

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tonyskid View Post
    ... 2002 Genesis and when I hooked up the battery I was shocked. My hour meter went from around 22 hours to 555.3

... that hour meter is going to be the death of me, any help would be great.
    Tony
    The only reliable way I know of to change the displayed hour count on an MFI is to purchase and install a different MFI display.

I called the dealer today and asked if the hour meter can be reset and he said NO, but they have heard how they will go back to ZERO on there own if the battery has been off for a period of time, something to do with a service feature. He did say that they can read the computer on the ski and print out the hours for me with a date and time stamp on there paperwork so thats good enough for me because I am trying to sell it. Sure looks better coming from the dealer than me trying to explain this, he said for 1/2 hour labor time they will do it so thats where I am headed to fix this problem and THEN SELL IT. Thanks everyone for all the help with this thing.
    Tony

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    MFI is not MFD, they are different things. Genesis and Virage use MFI display, not MFD.

The hour counter on all displays (MFD and MFI) is stored in EEPROM, not EPROM, so no UV light erasure.

MFD are known to randomly reset the hour counter to zero during battery connection. MFI are not.

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

The only reliable way I know of to change the displayed hour count on an MFI is to purchase and install a different MFI display.
    Yeah I understand they are 2 different clusters, but I assumed they would use similar chips in their design. I took apart an old busted MFD I had today and agree it is not an eprom, there is no quartz on the main IC which looks to be a simple 8 bit chip (I can't make out the numbers they are rusted out!). So I wonder if the Polaris design team did come up with a secret service mode you could punch in through the mode and set keys They thought about many other things, actually these polaris MFD's are pretty advanced when compared to what other manufacturers provided in that era.

Thread Information