+1

Wave venture hesitation

It's really a bog issue. I rebuilt the top end of a 1995 but did not replace all the gaskets. I only replace what I took apart: head, exhaust/cylinder, and base. It ran great for a few outings and then all of sudden started to die out when advancing throttle.
    Trying to diagnosis the problem, I squirted a bit of combutable WD 40 in the carb when going to advance the throttle. It worked and I was able to get it to run great at higher speeds. When I chop the throttle and try to advance, it will not take throttle without dying. Sometimes if I slightly ease into throttle and I can get it past the bog and away it goes.

New gas, new filter, carb cleaner in fuel.

No initally I thought maybe carbs need to be gone through, but it ran so well prior to this. I have also noticed a water leak into the hull between the exhaust manifold and the up pipe. This connection was broken before during the build but water is coming out of that connection into the hull a small amount. Now which leads to the question: If the water is also going into the exhaust, could this be causing the bogg? Perhaps the rpms of the engine will not push the water out untill it reaches higher revs?

I know it has to be replaced, but was wonder if I need to tackle the carbs at this point as well.

+1
    Carbs - yes. def. rebuild. PERIOD.
    Water in hull, normal, at least for me.... ( not coming from the engine or a leak ) but I bury the nose under water quite often, so that's my issue....
    Good Luck

+1
    If water is leaking externally a bit at that connection, that shouldn't cause a running problem. If its leaking internally at the connection, thats kinda bad because it could easily flow back into the engine. So fix that soon. Its possible that water into the exhaust at the point could cause some running issues, but you problem sounds like it more carb related to me.

+1
    Initially I thought the carb. But it has been running so well. And the idle is great and so it the wot. To me that means jets are clean and my only thoughts are pop off settings. But that shouldn't have change. I know the leaking into the hull is not the problem, but if the gasket is bad, it could be leaking into the exhaust and maybe causing the dying on throttle up.

+1
    "it will not take throttle without dying. Sometimes if I slightly ease into throttle and I can get it past the bog and away it goes."

Don't wait on the carbs and stay off it till you do them. I can not stress this enough!
    My current gp1200 problem was sounding exactly the same as what I quoted above from your post. Now I am replacing a piston + & all the extras to do the job.
    If you aren't going to rebuild AT LEAST take them apart and check / clean them for your own good. Fuel cleaner really doesn't help much from what I gathered from reading here.

+1
    like stated above, REBUILD your carb. be sure, to use ONLY genuine mikuni parts, and replace the needle and seat.

diaphragms wear, check valves go bad, there is an internal fuel filter, that clogs.

also fix the water leak.

+1
    Found the problem with the water leak. It was a loose bolt on the water box. I pulled the carbs and cleaned them up. Waiting on kits to rebuild, but I put clean all of it and will give it a go later this week to see if it helped any.

Thread Information