Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

R&D Anticavitation Cone

Hello,

I have a stage 1 fzr. Is there any benefit to having the cone? Does it help with top end or acceleration?

Thank you.

+1
    From what I've read on here, it helps acceleration, but takes a little off top end.

+1
    If you're having cavitation off the line it will help fix that, but with stage 1 level mods it's fairly easy to get rid of cavitation by just adjusting your impeller pitch. I tested the R&D cone back to back(15 min apart) with the stock cone on my SHO & gained .5 mph. It's been a couple years so I don't remember how much it dropped rpm but it's not significant...maybe 50 rpm or a little more. It might take away a little acceleration because it increases pressure behind the impeller, similar to using a smaller venturi nozzle, but I didn't notice a difference. It will however help keep the pump loaded better when riding in choppy conditions.

I had stage 1 level mods when I did the test & was using a Skat swirl prop.

Thanks for the replies. I already have the cone on, just thinking if I should go back to the stock cone. I did the impeller, cone and pump seal kit at the same time. I have the 13/22 that has been repitched (can't remember to what right now) and I have bad cavitation from take off but good top end. Since I don't gun it from a standstill I'm not to worried.

Lou

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sdman View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I already have the cone on, just thinking if I should go back to the stock cone. I did the impeller, cone and pump seal kit at the same time. I have the 13/22 that has been repitched (can't remember to what right now) and I have bad cavitation from take off but good top end. Since I don't gun it from a standstill I'm not to worried.

Lou
    Which 13/22?...13/22R Dynafly from Riva? Without knowing what your true pitch & rpm's are it's hard to make a recommendation. Every 13/22R I've seen was actually a 13/21 out of the box. If that's the prop you have, repitching to 15/22 should be just about right for stage 1 & help a lot with your cavitation. Having the hub machined to add setback will also help.

+1
    if its a solas prop you have take it off and put a skat on a re pitched stock prop i had exactly the same swapped to skat 13/23 and all cavitation completely gone.

It is the 13/22r. I know it was at 13/21, I will find out later what it is pitched to now. My rpms are at 7700. With the pitch at 13/21 I my rpms were at 7770 with really slow acceleration until around 55. After repitching the prop acceleration was much smoother from around 30 and up.

Lou

I know this is a dumb question, but how do you repitch a prop? I recently got the solas 13/22R impeller and the Riva Manifold upgrade (already had the Riva Performance Power filter kit and intake grate) and there is a little bit of cavitation out of the hole. I just purchased the anti-cavitation cone which should arrive in a few days, so I will see if that helps. I was under the impression that the impeller would eliminate hitting the rev limiter, but I wasn't aware that there might be some cavitation. Maybe this cone will fix the problem, but I also see people talking about repitching the prop. Thanks in advance.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckbatts View Post
    I know this is a dumb question, but how do you repitch a prop? I recently got the solas 13/22R impeller and the Riva Manifold upgrade (already had the Riva Performance Power filter kit and intake grate) and there is a little bit of cavitation out of the hole. I just purchased the anti-cavitation cone which should arrive in a few days, so I will see if that helps. I was under the impression that the impeller would eliminate hitting the rev limiter, but I wasn't aware that there might be some cavitation. Maybe this cone will fix the problem, but I also see people talking about repitching the prop. Thanks in advance.
    Duke's thread: Prop Bending 101

Mikefzr made a vid also: how to measure a prop (video+tutorial)

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    I always wondered if the R&D cone was worth a hoot or not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information