gp1200r no drive and loud noise in drive shaft

hi everyone today i went to put my ski in the water and it had no drive. It sounded like the impeller was grinding metal on metal and i know they usualy have a bit of sound but this was more than normal. I pulled the jet unit off and started it up and the sound was gone . The spines on the impeller shaft seem fine and had a look up through the shaft where the impeller shaft should go and could see the drive shaft turning freely while running but was wondering on what the bearing in half way between the driveshaft and the rear of the ski is and wheather that coud be the noise but then i dont see how that could affect having no drive if anyone has any ideas that would be much appreciated

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    the intermediate splines strip out it's common.

by you meaning intermediate splines is that a section where it splits the driveshaft coming from the the motor and the shaft on the impeller

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

actually ignore that comment i just looked on a diagram are you talking about on the intermediate shaft the splines are common to wear on it and the whole shaft will probs need replacing or just the part where the shafts both meet ? cheers

Been there, done that....

Description: SHAFT, DRIVE (USA) for 2001 YAMAHA WaveRunner GP1200R
    Order Quantity: 1
    Unit Price: $224.08
    Total Cost: $224.08
    Mfg Product Number: 66V-51323-01-00

Description: SHAFT, COUPLOR (USA) for 2001 YAMAHA WaveRunner GP1200R
    Unit Price: $207.42
    Total Cost: $207.42
    Mfg Product Number: 66V-11631-00-B0

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ryancoggo View Post
    by you meaning intermediate splines is that a section where it splits the driveshaft coming from the the motor and the shaft on the impeller

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

actually ignore that comment i just looked on a diagram are you talking about on the intermediate shaft the splines are common to wear on it and the whole shaft will probs need replacing or just the part where the shafts both meet ? cheers
    pull it apart and look at it

some strip the female splines, some strip both male and female

6. +1 by:

How hard is it to remove the itermediate shaft? If you take the exhaust out can you pull it out? I have a similar issue except I have more of a cluncking sound and the ski still moves forward just seems a little slower than it should be. Checked compression, which was good, motor sounds good. I removed the jet pump and the sound goes away. The prop, and pump look in good shape no unusally wear marks. The spline on the shaft for the prop looks good as well.

So my next step is to remove and inspect the input spline and also check the rubber puck looking thing. If I just need to take the exhaust out to work on it I'll be stoked.....

Unfortunately you have to pull the engine to remove the intermediate shaft. I would replace both the driveshaft and the int. shaft at the same time. Since you have to pull the engine it would really suck to only replace one then have the other fail and have to do it all over again.

I realize this thread is 4 yrs old, but I was looking though it and discovered the part numbers listed are incorrect (looks like a copy/paste error). Corrected numbers below for GP1200R:

Quote Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post
    Been there, done that....

Description: SHAFT, DRIVE (USA) for 2001 YAMAHA WaveRunner GP1200R
    Unit Price: $224.08
    Total Cost: $224.08
    Mfg Product Number: 66V-45511-00-00

Description: SHAFT, COUPLOR (USA) for 2001 YAMAHA WaveRunner GP1200R
    Unit Price: $207.42
    Total Cost: $207.42
    Mfg Product Number: 66V-51323-01-00

+1
    You do not need to pull the motor, just remove the j pipe and loosen the top motor mount bolts and you can slide the motor forward a couple inches.

When I get home I can send you a complete parts list for all the bearings and seals you need. It won't be cheap but it is worth it to buy all OEM parts.

Thread Information