Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Got my new parts installe today!

so i am new here pretty much and just received my first order from the online store, i added a vx plate(stock) r&d vts cam and r&d intake grate to my fzs. have couple of questions though that i did not see in older posts on the plate. when i installed the plate i previously read that alot of people are not shimming the vx plate, however it seems to sink up into the hull in the rear quite a bit, is this normal? kinda figured should be flush with hull as possible so i added 3 washers in the back of the plate to make flush and took one washer in front to make smooth surface with transom plate, is this correct? i know might need shimming but want to make sure have the right idea. also on my intake grate it seems to sit lower than transom plate and might could use grinding down to make flush with transom plate has anyone else had this issue with the intake grate? One more thing on the vts cam gear, seems to really give the nozzle alot of up trim, did any of you have to adjust the trim rod from factory settings to bring it back down a bit? i know it is designed to give more up trim but just seems like alot.

+1
    as far as shiming the plate goes it needs to be a step up from the transom plate
    and then it needs as much angle as it can in the rear for more speed
    if there is then too much bounce when riding you shim the rear till it has gone
    the intake grates all have a step as well and from what i have read you make it worse if you try and make it flush

ok so when you say step up you mean at front of plate it needs to be recessed from transom plate or hanging below transom plate....guess what mean is which way are you saying is up???...lol kinda crazy i know but just want to clarify. thanks for info though will just have to experiment to fine tune it i suppose.

+1
    i did same as you on my sho shimmed it at rear to bring flush with hull... kept it flush with transom at front, handles really well..

so went out and tested today...and somewhat disappointed. top speed was 68.5 porposing pretty badly. much improved acceleration, so happy in that department. i have the plate shimmed .110 in rear and .55 in front. my previous best speed was 67.2 and was expecting 2-3 mph gain with the vx plate,,,so i am wondering what could be holding it back. feels really strong mid range and off the line, just can't seem to get speed up. i have not done exhaust mod yet. but that should only be .2-.5 mph gain i think. any help would be appreciated. also i am going to add another .55 shim in back i think to get rid of porposing b/c it did not do it when first tried it out. anyway feel free to share your thoughts also on another note dont seem to be hitting rev limiter....think problem lies with prop being off pitch from factory? this ski has always seemed slower than others on here posts.

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

one more question is there any difference in the 09 and 10 computer map on the fz's

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    With the mods you have, you will need to re pitch your prop or buy a new one. I'm guessing your banging pretty hard on the limiter. Re pitch it to get your RPMs down and you should see your speed increase.

i keep wondering if banging the limiter, but neither me or friends can hear the motor cutting out at top speed...can you hear the ski cutting out without the use of a tach? i know a tach is needed for 100% accuracy, just putting it off until get the simple mods done.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SloFZ View Post
    my previous best speed was 67.2 and was expecting 2-3 mph gain with the vx plate,,,so i am wondering what could be holding it back
    These skis are all a little different from the factory. I would probably start by getting rid of all the shims first as a test. They can help reduce the bounce, but it's not uncommon for shims to scrub speed. If it bounces too much then you can start experimenting by shimming in the rear a little at a time.

Your ski was doing about the same as our slower one in stock form; last year my FZS did 67.8 bone stock in 90 degree heat. After we added the Aquavein grates and the VX rideplates were bolted directly to the hull (no shims) I was pulling 69.9 mph and later after my cheap air mod and we started getting cooler temps in the fall, my ski jumped up to the 70-73 mph range, depending on air temp and fuel. I never even bothered removing the ribbon.

Acceleration is very quick; the @%& thing practically jumps out of the water. I don't know how these guys ride at 80-90 mph. I almost came off mine the other day at WOT and it scared me a little. I'm not a young guy any more, and for me the dang ski is so fast now I can barely hang on...

yeah razzie i had it shimmed flush with hull at first and to me felt like handled really well then took 2 wahsers out and got a little more loose and porpised, am going to put at least on back in to see how that works. i do like handleing better anyway, really like to carve up the water more fun to me overall than just straight runs here and there, and not a fan of bouncing across the lake. gonna have to find good medium b/tween handleing and speed with this vx plate.

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

yo yamma in 90 degree heat here in ms last year bone stock after riding a few min, and experiencing heat soak i saw about a consistent 65mph, that is why i was considering mine to be a little slower than others. which brings up the question of bad pitch prop or computer changes in 2010. most of the 09 guys running around 67 bone stock...but don't know if before or after heat soak. also yo yamma did it porpise real bad on you with no shims on that vx plate? mine sure does with just 1 washer in back, think it is due to the vts cam gear though partly way too much up trim i think after riding today so gonna adjust the trim rod to push nose back down to water. can't believe getting those speeds from no ribbon removal, hell mine never hit 66 or 67 till got it out of there and added the same air intake system you use.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

based on your observations xlt what pitch would you use seems to me about a 13 22 or so is about right for stage one mods roughly what are your thoughts?

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    I have about the same mods, I installed a re pitched OEM 15/22. I have a scat 13/23 on order for use when i go to a larger boost wheel. A re pitched oem should do pretty good for you.
    BTW I haven't updated the new mods in my signiture yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information