Banned User
    +1

Go Pro smack into Buoy at 40mph

Here is what it looks like, when a Go Pro camera smacking into a buoy, at about 40mph;

Don't try this at home. I am a Go Pro Professional. Luckily, I had placed two floating key chain buoys onto the camera/mount, which allowed it to float.

Here is the video I ended up making, with some of that footage, of Nicholas Rius, on his stand-up;

+1
    nice vids. do you have a picture of how you attached the floater to the camera?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rangermtb5 View Post
    nice vids. do you have a picture of how you attached the floater to the camera?
    No, I don't. I just got a couple of key floats from West Marine-the white ones-nothing fancy, and used Duct Tape to secure them together, then to the mount. I figured out I needed two with the suction cup mount, because with one, it would still sink. I tested all of this out first, by dropping the camera in the water-to make sure it would float.

With just the camera, and the small clip on mount, you only need one floatie. This is actually the first time the camera has fallen-been knocked off a boat. So, it pays to do testing to make sure everything floats, or, that you secure the camera well, before doing onboard footage. $10 worth of floaties can save you $300 worth of camera/mount.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    No, I don't. I just got a couple of key floats from West Marine-the white ones-nothing fancy, and used Duct Tape to secure them together, then to the mount. I figured out I needed two with the suction cup mount, because with one, it would still sink. I tested all of this out first, by dropping the camera in the water-to make sure it would float.

With just the camera, and the small clip on mount, you only need one floatie. This is actually the first time the camera has fallen-been knocked off a boat. So, it pays to do testing to make sure everything floats, or, that you secure the camera well, before doing onboard footage. $10 worth of floaties can save you $300 worth of camera/mount.
    Ok, cool. Yeah I have mine teather to the ski, but I like the floating idea.

Thanks

+1
    Nice video and good idea with the key chain floats. I know someone that lost two of them. I was actually going to do that with my wife's water proof camera, so good to know it works.

hahaha, i was thinking of doing that today before going out and did not do it, lost it in the inlet by me lol. by by go pro.

+1
    When you shoot your video, I'm assuming you record in the r5 setting? I'm learning how to use my new gopro hd and I shot a video in 720p, then did some editing in sony vegas and uploaded it to youtube... the video will only display in 480... any ideas what I did wrong? I want it in 720.

Also, what do you use for your editing?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tempest.runner View Post
    When you shoot your video, I'm assuming you record in the r5 setting? I'm learning how to use my new gopro hd and I shot a video in 720p, then did some editing in sony vegas and uploaded it to youtube... the video will only display in 480... any ideas what I did wrong? I want it in 720.

Also, what do you use for your editing?
    That was shot using R3, edited in Sony Vegas Pro 9e, and uploaded to Youtube. You probably rendered the video with the wrong settings. There are a ton of "how-to" video's for Sony Vegas, on You Tube. I highly recommend you watch a few of them, as Sony Vegas is not an easy program to use, but, once you watch the video's, all of the settings will become apparent to you, and it will be much easier to use.

Easiest is to export to MP4, using default setting(you can click on the "custom" button, just to double check those settings), and rending to 1280X720(720P)=R3, or 1920X1080(1080P)R5. There really is no point in re-sizing the video to 1080P, if it was only shot in 720P.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by weston View Post
    Very cool...but, for $129 kinda spendy. I've never had a problem with the plastic mounts. But, I understand their limitations and take that into account when I mount them.
    Those mounts are actually made by Ultralight control systems, and they have other options here;
    http://www.ulcs.com/
    just click on the go pro mount tab. they also have a flat underwater lens, that works great for underwater photography.

Thread Information