+1

'04 RXP - value upgrades?

A couple of seasons ago I had problems with my RXP motor, the rear exhaust valve stuck at high RPM and destroyed the engine (see the post below). I exchanged for a lower hours engine and re-fitted it to my ski. Two seasons on and all is still good with the "new" engine, but I have heard that the stock Seadoo valve gear did have problems.

What do you folks think about the '04 valves. Would you replace the valves with something like the Ferrea ones? Or upgrade the valve train, or just the valve retainers?

I'm always nervous about the problem re-occuring.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...40#post1077940

+1
    From what I know about the 04 valves its a crap shoot. Some go some don't. I am personally replacing mine to stainless steel. I think spending a little up front is better the spending a lot later on.

+1
    Would you go with a full valve replacement, or just the valve retainers (like the Riva valve tran kit)?

+1
    any thoughts on this?

+1
    You should do a search, heaps of info.
    Do a search to confirm the info below. If something below Is misleading I sincerely apologise. Just trying to help off the top of my head, and I'm far from any expert.

04, no good. They get weak from corrosion and fail. The failure point is obviously highly dependant on maintenance, riding conditions, hrs and mods, etc........
    Do you ride in salt water?
    Do you flush it properly after every use?
    Do you have a fogging kit/ Fog your ski?

Adequate would be to pick up some later model valves. For the extra $ I personally would go foR the Ferrea.
    Remember, you should not just chuck them in and go. Valves should be fitted to seats by a pro.

06+ valves are supposed to be adequate. Can be confirmed by number on valve stem. Some have commented that early 06 manufacture skis still have the outdated valves!!!???

Hope this helps but please do your own research and confirm the above info.

Ride in salt water replace them. The stems are hollow and have seen several give out and it aint pretty

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayers View Post
    You should do a search, heaps of info.
    Do a search to confirm the info below. If something below Is misleading I sincerely apologise. Just trying to help off the top of my head, and I'm far from any expert.

04, no good. They get weak from corrosion and fail. The failure point is obviously highly dependant on maintenance, riding conditions, hrs and mods, etc........
    Do you ride in salt water?
    Do you flush it properly after every use?
    Do you have a fogging kit/ Fog your ski?

Adequate would be to pick up some later model valves. For the extra $ I personally would go foR the Ferrea.
    Remember, you should not just chuck them in and go. Valves should be fitted to seats by a pro.

06+ valves are supposed to be adequate. Can be confirmed by number on valve stem. Some have commented that early 06 manufacture skis still have the outdated valves!!!???

Hope this helps but please do your own research and confirm the above info.
    Who does the work to fit the seats for the valves? I am about to remove my head, and I think I might as well just upgrade the valves to the Ferrea valves too.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    just grind the FERREAS a few thousands and check for clearance on the lifters, also when ground make sure the edges are not sharp make sure you sand them off. Also you must lap in the new valves for 100% sealing. Lapping compound can be found at harbor freight along with the lapping tool. really easy to do. Make sure you label the valves to the adequate port. Rinse head thoroughly with water and dish soap. Here is some pics of the job I did on my head, I ported it and polished the ports.

Youtube How to Video:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1209001419a.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	240391   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1209001419.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	240392   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1213001318.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	240393   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1213001303.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	240394  

Quote Originally Posted by krouchchocolate View Post
    Who does the work to fit the seats for the valves? I am about to remove my head, and I think I might as well just upgrade the valves to the Ferrea valves too.
    Pretty much any reputable automotive machine shop can do the work. Find one that specializes in racing, preferably motorcycle racing work. I just paid $75 to have it done. The Ferrea valves come a bit long and must be ground to the proper length. Do NOT try to do this yourself as you will not have the proper equipment to grind a perfectly flat end on the valve. SD does not give a spec for seated valve height, so the machine shop will need to measure the standing height of the old valves, so bring them along if you go with the Ferreas. Also, using the Harbor Freight lapping compound is not a good idea as it is too coarse and will grind grooves in the seats and valves. Buy some Clover compound instead, available at either McMaster Carr or Warehouse Tool. I started with the Clover 280 (fine) grit with just a couple seconds, then switched to 600 grit to finish off. The 280 comes in a little double coarse/fine container and is only about 9 bucks, but the 600 only comes in a 1 lb container and is like $35-40. This is more than a lifetime supply......

Thread Information