Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48
  1. #1
    Mod less, ride more! troyheb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    Posts
    8,725
    +1
    1,267

    Engine cooling / overheating????

    On my PX, running closed loop with the Riva stat. I can run all day at 7000 or so rpm's, but when I hold it wot around 8400+ for long runs it overheats and dumps the coolant. Everything checks out after, compression, cylinder leak down, cooling system leakdown. Running 80+ is that just to fast for the ride plate to cool down the coolant???? Will going open loop solve the problem????


  2. #2
    Moderator Snoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    South Chicagoland
    Posts
    14,688
    +1
    846
    Sounds like you may have your hoses crossed on the thermo...

  3. #3
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Crest Hill, IL
    Posts
    9,512
    +1
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    On my PX, running closed loop with the Riva stat. I can run all day at 7000 or so rpm's, but when I hold it wot around 8400+ for long runs it overheats and dumps the coolant. Everything checks out after, compression, cylinder leak down, cooling system leakdown. Running 80+ is that just to fast for the ride plate to cool down the coolant???? Will going open loop solve the problem????

    Groco filter installed?

    You put lines back properly on the oil/overflow?

    You bleed the system when you put coolant in? Did you put enough coolant in?

  4. #4
    Mod less, ride more! troyheb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    Posts
    8,725
    +1
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Sounds like you may have your hoses crossed on the thermo...
    I did not install it. I will have to get Rich to check that.

    ---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Groco filter installed?

    You put lines back properly on the oil/overflow?

    You bleed the system when you put coolant in? Did you put enough coolant in?
    No groco.

    The engine was recently rebuilt by WFO. I checked the coolant level after the first couple of short rides and the level was fine.

  5. #5
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Crest Hill, IL
    Posts
    9,512
    +1
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    I did not install it. I will have to get Rich to check that.

    ---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------



    No groco.

    The engine was recently rebuilt by WFO. I checked the coolant level after the first couple of short rides and the level was fine.
    You got a few things that it could be, but need to determine its engine overheat or exhaust overheat...

    If its engine (which it sounds like), could be that either the hoses are reversed...or the thermostat is in backwards...

    If its exhaust, then you could have a clogged IC which will starve the exhaust down stream under WOT runs...

    Oh, get a groco...cheap insurance.

  6. #6
    Mod less, ride more! troyheb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    Posts
    8,725
    +1
    1,267
    Going to check the t-stat hoses. Its the engine not the exhaust, at least that the warning I am getting. IC was flow and pressure tested ok.

  7. #7
    West Texas RXP skoepp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    west texas
    Posts
    12,019
    +1
    149
    Any codes or just the loosing coolant?
    Figured you would have said but just asking.

  8. #8
    5.0. alex_baker202's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Lebanon, Missouri, United States
    Posts
    1,027
    +1
    24
    It just misses the Bayou...haha

  9. #9
    Mod less, ride more! troyheb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    Posts
    8,725
    +1
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    Any codes or just the loosing coolant?
    Figured you would have said but just asking.
    No codes that I can remember, gives overheat warning and goes into limpmode.

  10. #10
    sniper300's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    165
    +1
    6
    How long are you holding WOT? If not more than about 20 seconds and is overheating then you have a problem for sure. I am running same closed loop with Riva T stat and have no problems with temps and i am in a very hot climate like yourself in Texas. I have a Dynotune temp gauge aswell so i can see my temps all the time and have never seen anything over76-77 ged C and thats after a long WOT run. Check your hoses as described by the others and if all is good dump your coolant and replace with distilled water and a bottle of REDLINE WATERWETTER and give that a go!!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Riva Engine Cooling Kit Overheating
    By Antiguan FZR in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-12-2010, 10:23 AM
  2. 650 sx engine cooling
    By CINCY POWERSPORTS in forum Kawasaki Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-16-2009, 03:13 PM
  3. New Search Engine coolness.... searchme.com
    By MikeTrin in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-30-2009, 05:04 PM
  4. New Engine is Overheating
    By Skibumtx in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-17-2007, 06:15 PM
  5. water bypass flow and engine cooling/ecm
    By spaulding in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2007, 12:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •