what do i need to do for winter? RXP

Hi all,
    It's coming into winter here in NZ and I'm starting to think about what to do with the ski for winter. I am still riding it on and off but there will probably be a few months that it doesn't get out. Do I need to follow the winterising process or can I get away with just starting it on the hose every now and then? If I can, how often do i need to run it up?

The reason I ask is I don't want to set it up for winter and then have a cracker day that i decide to put the jackets on and go out for a ride or a fishing trip. It would be nice to have it ready and able to go whenever I can handle the cold.

Ski is stored in a garage but it probably gets down to freezing point on and off through out the winter. Usually don't get snow at my place though. Obviously I run antifreeze which is a must for any vechicles in our winters.

Thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ_Dave View Post
    Hi all,
    It's coming into winter here in NZ and I'm starting to think about what to do with the ski for winter. I am still riding it on and off but there will probably be a few months that it doesn't get out. Do I need to follow the winterising process or can I get away with just starting it on the hose every now and then? If I can, how often do i need to run it up?

The reason I ask is I don't want to set it up for winter and then have a cracker day that i decide to put the jackets on and go out for a ride or a fishing trip. It would be nice to have it ready and able to go whenever I can handle the cold.

Ski is stored in a garage but it probably gets down to freezing point on and off through out the winter. Usually don't get snow at my place though. Obviously I run antifreeze which is a must for any vechicles in our winters.

Thanks.
    Its pretty easy to pour anti freeze and run it through the lines. then you just ride it when you want then put more in. thats all i would do... you may also start it at least once a week or so. also make sure you use the biodegradable stuff.

when you say through the lines do you just mean the closed loop cooling system? or do I need to be putting it other places as well? I always run the ski up after a ride to give a couple of good rev's to clear out any water still in the system.

sorry for the basic questions, i'm new to all if this and don't want to do damage just because i'm ignorant to the correct way to do things..

+1
    I just pump the antifreeze through the flush port. Before I had a pump would take a section of 3/4 inch heater hose with a funnel on one end and a male hose end on the other. Screw the hose end into the flush port, start the ski up and start pouring antifreeze into the funnel. Once the cooland went down below the funnel use compressed air to blow the antifreeze through the system. Do that a few times and you are done. When you are ready to run just fire it up and you are ready to roll.

+1

+1
    I'd also pull the injectors, spray a few squirts of Seadoo storage oil in the gap, and crank the engine (there is a key sequence to crank the engine without it starting, I think it's pressing Start whilst holding the throttle fully open, perhaps someone can confirm). Reason is the valve stems can pit with rust whilst in storage, especially the rear exhaust valve. When you first ride it the valve may not close properly, causing catastrophic engine failure. By putting a bit of storage oil in you're covering the valve stem with oil to help stop rust forming. I think the moisture comes from the water in the exhaust.

Pulling the injectors is a 5 min job with 3 bolts if I remember rightly. You'll want to push them back in once you've put the storage oil in. Personally I think this is the most important part of winter storage. Of course others may disagree ...........

I store my RXP in my garage during the winter here in philadelphia. The garage is not heated, although it gets cold in the garage it will never get cold enough to freeze the ski unless itz a serious draft in your garage. I just cover my ski with the factory cover and a couple blankets. Had it since it was new and never had a problem yet. Leave a cup of water out in the garage and see if it freezes......... unless itz outside it should be fine. And this past witner was a cold one.....all my toys stayed tucked away like bears in the winter.

just my .02 cents lol lol

Quote Originally Posted by itzmunch View Post
    I store my RXP in my garage during the winter here in philadelphia. The garage is not heated, although it gets cold in the garage it will never get cold enough to freeze the ski unless itz a serious draft in your garage. I just cover my ski with the factory cover and a couple blankets. Had it since it was new and never had a problem yet. Leave a cup of water out in the garage and see if it freezes......... unless itz outside it should be fine. And this past witner was a cold one.....all my toys stayed tucked away like bears in the winter.

just my .02 cents lol lol
    Thanks mate, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. My garage is also my gym so I usually heat it every now and then when I drag my cold hibernating ass out there to do some excercise or work on the toys. I also make home brew and have a few very low watt heaters for cupboards etc, I have considered leaving on of these inside the ski just to take the chill off.

Thread Information