Newcomer - 4-Tec vs. 2-Stroke - What to buy used?

I am in the market for a set of Sea-doos. Growing up we had a pair of 92 skis (sp and gts). They ran for 15 years before quiting due to lack of care. I am wondering what engine is the most reliable. Which format is most reliable (4-tec or 2stroke). Which systems/engines are least costly to maintain (Carb, RFI, DI). And which model/years you guys would recommend. I want to be able to have 2 people on the ski and sometimes pull a tube. I am open to all years, all models and i have heard good thing regarding the 587 and 787 engines. Your thoughts?

+1
    I'm going to lobby for the 4Tec power plant. I have two 2006 RXTs. They are bone stock but are supercharged, so I do have to fool w/the SC rebuild every 100 hrs. or so. I'v had no problems...

rxp steve
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kp72chevy View Post
    I am in the market for a set of Sea-doos. Growing up we had a pair of 92 skis (sp and gts). They ran for 15 years before quiting due to lack of care. I am wondering what engine is the most reliable. Which format is most reliable (4-tec or 2stroke). Which systems/engines are least costly to maintain (Carb, RFI, DI). And which model/years you guys would recommend. I want to be able to have 2 people on the ski and sometimes pull a tube. I am open to all years, all models and i have heard good thing regarding the 587 and 787 engines. Your thoughts?

I have owned the 787's and the 951's and the 4 tech motors are much more reliable IMO. They have more power and less maintenance. I have an RXP and RXT that have a little over 140 hrs w/o any problems I didn't cause by modding. My vote goes to the 4 tech whether it be s/c or n/a.

Well I vote neither. I've learned time and time again that with recreational vehicles buying used is just way too risky. They're normally beat on and not taken care of well. Even the ones that "look" garaged kept can catch you off guard (it happened to me). I'd go brand new or nothing at all, honestly. Or at the very least, buy from someone you know personally and know the history of the machine and how it was ridden and maintained!

4-tec no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post
    Well I vote neither. I've learned time and time again that with recreational vehicles buying used is just way too risky. They're normally beat on and not taken care of well. Even the ones that "look" garaged kept can catch you off guard (it happened to me). I'd go brand new or nothing at all, honestly. Or at the very least, buy from someone you know personally and know the history of the machine and how it was ridden and maintained!
    Agree 100%! Been there not going back.

I'm in between. Plus and minus to both, IMO.
    Depends on what YOU want and how much money you got to drop on one.
    Stay away from DI, 787 way to go. Not a lot of money to spend, get 96xp or something with 787 x4 hull. VERY playful, can ride two (don't expect to boogie along with waves though). And buy a 787 GTX 3 seater for pulling tubes, only con...pulling with 2 strokes is wierd because of powerband. Thats cheaper. Oh...speed 55-58 mph top stock

Now,comparing to our rxp-x and rxt-x (my wife wish she would have bought a rxp-x too), first Cost just to buy (could get two mentioned above for around 3-3500 with trailer Used, these two we dropped 22,000 they were new though) These are supercharged, the gas consumption, just cruising...i say Better than our two strokes, when going a 70 mph, Worse..lol
    Un-supercharged (we had them too) Less power,less maintance,less speed...less fun IMO Biggest maintance on superchaged ski, is the supercharger,needs rebuilt at 100 hours usually.
    No mixing gas/oil with 4 techs,which is cool! they are lot heavier 850-1000lbs Each
    You do need to change oil and filter, 2 stroke you don't

There some diff.

Thread Information