Question 2003 xlt800 needs some tlc

I just have inherited a 2003 Yamaha Waverunner xlt800. I am completely new to this sport/hobby and this is my first post here on this forum site. Before I can enjoy this I need to figure out what is going on with it first. I hope that some of you may be able to offer me any isight and get me going in the right direction.

It has been sitting in storage for several years now. It does not turn on or turn over at all. The previous owner said the battery was replaced but never used 2 years ago. I have it on a charger right now and am hoping it will turn over tomorrow. I get a "start" light on the panel but it does not try to turn over at all. Not sure if the battery is completely bad from sitting that long. Will see in the morning.

Second problem is that the reverse lever is completely stuck. I have sprayed it all down with pb blaster and wd40 (along with just about every other movable part) but it does not budge. I do not know exactly how it works, but it is completely jammed. Third problem is similar in that the quick shift trim selector does not turn.

The craft is in pretty good shape, and the previous owner says they cleaned it very well every time it was ridden. Just seems like it has a couple areas that may have become corroded. Hope there is a easy way to free those two areas.

Thank you for any information.

+1
    throw the battery out and get a new 1, new 2 year ago is not new any more then try it with new battery see if the motor turns over if not check the jetpump sounds like the ski was a salt water ski and the jet pump liner might have swelled from corrosion causing the engine not to turn as well as the reverse cable. Disconnect the reverse cable from the rear of the plastic bucket at the rear of the ski and see if its the cable or the bucket or the handle to rule out the 3 obvious things.

Thank you for the quick response. I will try to disconnect the reverse cable in the morning and see if anything moves at that point. Will post with results. Thanks again.

Took me a day to get the battery and got it in this morning. It starts now and is seemingly running fine. Hooked up the water to it and let it run for about 10 minutes. My question now is if old oil should be drained and new put in, or does it matter? I just want to make sure I don't blow it up. Anything else I should look at before I take it on the water? Thanks.

+1
    Ok don't run a ski for 10 minutes on a hose its no good for the pump seals and bearings 3 minutes tops in the water this stuff stays cool but not on the hose. The oil is fine just as it is if it was in the bottle make sure the gas is drained and new and if the ski bogs on take off the carbs should be rebuilt as they been sitting for 2 years this could cause it to run lean and cause engine damage be safe.

thanks for the info! Good to know about running the hose. Also, the oil was in the ski. The person who had it before me didnt drain anything when he quit using it. So I guess I will drain it out and put fresh in. Would it be ok to just drain half of it and fill the rest up with new? Is there a good method of doing this? Can it be done with gravity (like removing water from a fish tank)? I am keeping my fingers crossed on it being ok. I was able to see that it only has 31 hours on it so I am pretty optimistic about it. Thanks again for the responses.

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

just looked at www.laceypowersports.net and that ski is awesome! 500hp and 105mph is ridiculous.

+1
    Does the 03 xlt 800 engine have power valves? What should the compression be?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio View Post
    Does the 03 xlt 800 engine have power valves? What should the compression be?
    yes powervalves and 120 psi.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBoost View Post
    yes powervalves and 120 psi.
    Thanks, going to check one out for a friend.

Thread Information