+1

'03 GTX SC vs. '04 RXP fuel economy

I have an '04 RXP with some mods (Riva intake, straight thru exhaust, blow off valve, R&D Aquavein grate, OPAS block off) and my mate has a bulk standard GTX SC. But his fuel economy is way worse than mine and was wondering if he could have a problem that I can help diagnose.

We've both been out now for three weekends (about 4 hours riding in total). I've used just about 10 US gallons of fuel or just over half a tank, he has used about 20 - about a tank). He rides far more sensibly than me, we cruise at around 35 mph. I've checked the colour of his plugs and they are a light brown colour so it doesn't appear to be running rich.

Any ideas? Or is it just that the GTX has a bigger hull and therefore uses more fuel (I buy this but should it use around twice as much as the RXP)?

+1
    Your air intake increases your fuel economy.
    The extra length and weight of his ski decreases his.
    He has no intercooler, you have an internal intercooler which adds a little HP (efficiency)
    His supercharger gear has an extra tooth, results in less boost/HP.
    His rev limiter is lower than yours.

So think about it this way..If you were cruising at 60 MPH at 6800 RPM he would have to be pinning it full throttle to keep up with you.

Also, you're not going to be able to tell much by spark plug color on a 4-tec.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ubernoob View Post
    I have an '04 RXP with some mods (Riva intake, straight thru exhaust, blow off valve, R&D Aquavein grate, OPAS block off) and my mate has a bulk standard GTX SC. But his fuel economy is way worse than mine and was wondering if he could have a problem that I can help diagnose.

We've both been out now for three weekends (about 4 hours riding in total). I've used just about 10 US gallons of fuel or just over half a tank, he has used about 20 - about a tank). He rides far more sensibly than me, we cruise at around 35 mph. I've checked the colour of his plugs and they are a light brown colour so it doesn't appear to be running rich.

Any ideas? Or is it just that the GTX has a bigger hull and therefore uses more fuel (I buy this but should it use around twice as much as the RXP)?

Thread Information