Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

Who modded STOCK grate? Burnwater?

I thought i remember reading somewhere about modding a stock intake grate. Was it you Burn water?

what did you not like about the riva grate? i think you tried modding the Riva grate, correct?

let me know your findings and what you recommend.... i'm gonna get under my RXT finally and start cleaning it up.

Came across a nasty 1-2" x 1/4" gouge straight thru gel coat... need to repair that little itty bitty thing.

Found that my stock grate hangs down about 1/8" at least below the hull and ride plate.... gonna grind that down.

gonna seal everything up and all bolt holes and whatnot...

Just wondering if there's something I else i can do to the stock intake grate.

Thanks

Remove it and get the riva grate.

+1
    don't wanna lose top speed with riva grate.... stayin stock. and too much debris in my water to get a riva winged grate like that....

i know burnwater tested thes two grates and was not fond of the riva grate on an RXT... just lookin to smooth things out, maximize water flow, sharpen the bars on the grate?

i'd rather burn 100 bucks on a part that will make me go faster, not make me go slower on glass water

Sorry for late. Yes I ported the stock grate and P/U .4 mph. The Riva grate Sucked! tested it several times. It made the hull ride harsh and didnt hook up any better than stock maybe worse. Lost 1-1.5 MPH with the Riva same held true with my RXP by the ride was unafected by it unlike my RXT. Sent PICs to Jerry of stock ported grate I think he is going to try it, I wouldnt do one like mine if you have lots of crap in the water isnt as strong and could break. Just clean it up a bit.

Burnwater were you going to send your riva without the wings to Limited05. I'd be curious what he comes up with to get a modded riva working on his rxt. I think he is at 70-72 already.

Mine actually gave me hookup without top speed loss. When I didn't have it my rxt felt like it was slipping wakes when I was turning across them. After I get my stage 1 dialed in I might play with stock/riva grate.

+1
    Thanks Burnwater.... i don't have HARD debris in my waters.... jsut alot of vegetation and seaweed in the mid-summer months.... it's disappearing and dying off now tho. I think the wing on the Riva grate would just scoop up that much more of the vegetation

If you are Jerry has pictures of your ported stock grate, would you or he mind posting them? I'd love to check it out and play around with mine.

+1
    I will post some pictures of mine when im done.

+1
    Shibby; "Vegetation" = Eelgrass ! Brings back memories of when I lived on LI. That stuff hangs off scoop grates like tinsel on a Christmas tree. UGH!

Richard

Has anyone ever run without any grate at all and can tell us what happens?

Seems like it would pick up more water than a stock set-up. Sounds sort of potentially dangerous, but i wonder if someone has tried it

Keep your fingers out of there!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C
    Has anyone ever run without any grate at all and can tell us what happens?

Seems like it would pick up more water than a stock set-up. Sounds sort of potentially dangerous, but i wonder if someone has tried it

Keep your fingers out of there!!!
    I forgot who told the story but someone took their grate off their 75mph+ RXP and the back end slid at almost top speed and they flew off.. They had a really bad back injury I believe, I forget what else happened.

Moral of the story, Don't Ride Without An Intake Grate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information