Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2007 Challenger SE. Dealer SEIZED up my engine.

Hello, I have a 2007 challenger se, it has twin 215 hp rotax's. I had it in the dealership to replace the carbon seal awhile back and they also determined that the superchargers needed rebuilt/replaced. They assumed this by free-spinning of the supercharger impellers. I had them just replace both superchargers with brand new factory ones. I knew nothing about the ceramic washers until about a week ago, nor did I know the dangers that they posed on the motor. I took the boat to the Ruckersville, VA Seadoo dealer with both motors running, I even went out on the lake with their lead mechanic and he witnessed them both operating. So after 4 months and roughly $2500 I got my boat back, me and my dad took it promptly to lake anna; where we could only get one motor to start, the other wouldn't start and thus we didn't even leave the dock. So We took it back to the dealer and they accused us of drowning the motor and seizing it. We took it to two different mechanics and they both have acknowledged that the motor is seized and that there was no water to speak of in the motor.

Technical information: I have both superchargers that were removed, the one from the operating motor had no gears or ceramic washers missing, The one from the seized motor has the main circular drive gear missing (right behind the ceramic washers) the washers are still intact. I have been told that the only way to remove the gear is to disassemble the entire supercharger, the sc housing seal has never been broken. So, the mechanic either neglected to realize that the gear was in the motor and then started it after putting on the new superchargers or kept it as a good luck charm. Either way, I'm stuck with possibly replacing the motor $$$. These guys charged me to ruin my boat, thanks.

The reason i'm posting to you guys: If the drive gear was in the motor when they turned it over and seized it, would that cause a seizure? And if so, is there any way to fix that without replacing the motor?
    Another angle: Could there be something else seizing the motor that i'm not acknowledging? And is there anyway that I could do some tests to try and diagnose?

Anything would help, Thanks in advance Joel

Can yoU post pictures of both of the superchargers?

Maybe the gear is jamming in somewhere, i think motor needs pulled and pulled apart to visually look inside for damage, let alone to retrieve the gear (no loc tite??)

yup, I will soon.
    thanks, joel

+1

supercharger photos

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	supercharger 3 bad.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	236234Click image for larger version. 

Name:	supercharger 2 bad.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	236233Click image for larger version. 

Name:	supercharger 1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	236232
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	supercharger 1 good.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	236235
    The top three pictures are of the bad supercharger, On the middle picture do note the vertical indent on the shaft ( small scratch) It looks like it may have gotten there whenever the gear came off. The bottom picture is the gear and ceramic washers on the supercharger that came off of the good motor. Both spin like a charm, the supercharger drive shafts seem strait and the s/c impellers aren't loose and don't make any scraping noises when spinning.

Note: It appears as though when the gear came off, the ceramic washer above it came with it, I think??
    Anything will help, Thanks guys

+1
    Did the SC with the missing gear come from the siezed motor? is so im guessing that the gear is jammed up some where.

+1
    Both chargers are missing the washers.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Both chargers are missing the washers.
    +1, Both engines need pulled,cleaned out, oil pumps checked, timing chains replaced, etc...$$$$. Maybe get luck with the one will the gear missing. Never know till you take them apart.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1300r View Post
    +1, Both engines need pulled,cleaned out, oil pumps checked, timing chains replaced, etc...$$$$. Maybe get luck with the one will the gear missing. Never know till you take them apart.
    +1. and those dont look like two brand new chargers either.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information