98 zxi 1100 idling issues CV Carbs

hello all. Hope you are already up and running. I just put the zxi back together after cleaning out the gas tank. It had black gummy crud in it. Lots of it. I was hoping that was the only source of the zxi's idling problems.

All the following was done on land with a water hose:

First off, after reading about 100 threads about SeaFoam, I tried some of that today. I'm going to check it again tomorrow to see if it sitting with SeaFoam/gas helps any more.

Now, what it does is start and run. It will stay running without having to be held at 4K or high revs, which was the case before I cleaned the tank. Yaaay. Now, it coughs or sputters briefly when i hit the throttle, then jumps.

But when I do rev it up, it really 'hangs' at high RPMs, and takes a while to go back down to an idle, way too long.

Most times it eventually does go back down to about 2K- 1500 rpm and idle there, a little rough though. But a couple of times it instead wanted to keep revving up even higher after I let off the throttle, even after I yanked the kill lanyard, and turned the switch to 'off'. Evil possessed beatch.

Also I read on a bunch of threads that a too-lean idle setting might be a cause of this. How can I figure out that, and if I figure out it is, how do I get it adjusted properly?

Thanks

+1
    Are the throttles actually closing? The slides may be hanging.

To check for a leak on the intake manifold, check that all nuts are secure. Then run the engine on the hose and squirt oil all around the carb bases and reed cages. If you see/hear a change in RPM or smoke, you've found the problem. You can also squirt starting fluid, but be very careful as that stuff is very dangerous.

Of course, never allow the water to run unless the engine is running. Start engine, turn on water. Turn off water, THEN shut off engine.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Are the throttles actually closing? The slides may be hanging.

To check for a leak on the in...........is running. Start engine, turn on water. Turn off water, THEN shut off engine.
    I ran it again today, it seemed a little better, but the throttle still hangs too long. The seaFoam has not performed a complete miracle .....yet.

Hello. Thanks for the suggestions. I just pulled off the carbs and checked all ports jets, linkages, etc. it seems to be in proper condition. all three slides were smooth without any apparent binding or the like.

I will try to see if there are any hose or other such air leaks next.

Thread Information