Need some advice... Should I trade my 2002 CR250R for...

Hello everyone,

I need a bit of advice if yall have a minute. I have a 2002 Honda CR250R that I have about $2,500 in. I bought the bike almost a year ago and completely rebuilt the motor as well as many other things on the bike. When I say rebuilt I mean new Honda cylinder, head, etc. I have had it for sale for about 7 months without must interest. I live 5 minutes from the water and over an hour from anywhere to ride dirt. I have a guy that is wanting to trade me 2 2000 Yamaha GP1200R's and a double trailer for my bike. Here is the catch. The guy said one has a bad engine, needs cylider and stuff. The other he said he got this past weekend and he has not got it started yet. The guy he bought it from said it ran great last year, story of my life. I got myself into the same situation last year when I bought 2 1996 GTX's. This guy knows nothing about motors or at least that is what he tells me. I am thinking that the one probably just needs a good carb cleaning but need to do a compression test to see. He said is does turn over fine, just will not fire. I am not concerned about turning some wrenchs because that is what I love to do. What would yall do and what should I look for on these skis? I have owned seadoo's but never yamaha's. I know they are completely different animals. Thanks for any advice.

Here are the GP's and my bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CR 111.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	236153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CR 114.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	236157   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CR 110.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	236154   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CR 115.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	236158   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CR 112.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	236155   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CR 116.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	236159  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CR 117.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	236156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CR 096.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	236140  
    Last edited by Bmedlin85; 04-19-2011 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Added Pictures

Tough choice. I guess it all depends on how much you enjoy and how often you ride your dirt bike.

Obviously those skis need A LOT of work, but the GPR is a fantastic ski. And since you would have to rebuild pretty much everything anyway, maybe you could make a conversion ski?

If you end up buying them, there are also a couple of mods to do right off the bat. (D-Plate, Pump tunnel reinforcement, and seal the pump shoe Post #14)

Well I am not really planning on riding the bike much this summer cause I live closer to the water than anywhere to ride dirt. I DO want to trade for A PWC but I am not 100% on these. I am afraid of how much money they will need to get them in running condition. I know one needs a top-end, possibly a crank, and the carbs rebuilt. The other may just need the carbs rebuilt but it to may need a top-end. The issue is is that everything is X3 because of the triple and X6 because there are 2!!! I am still torn but I may hold off on these for now.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Expect the worst, hope for the best. I'd say take a little time just to see what your getting yourself into. Do a compression check to see where you stand there. Also, do you need two skis? what I'm getting at is rebuild the better of the two, cannibalize any parts you can off the second to use on the first, then part out the second ski to recoup some of your losses.
    Also, rebuilding the carbs on these is pretty easy and it sounds like you definitely have enough skills to get the job done.
    If it was only one, I'd say no way! But two? I'd do it.
    Good luck either way.

Thanks Chad. I threw him an offer on the torn down GP. If I could get it cheap enough I would just go ahead and rebuild that one since it is already half way down. I rebuilt my 96 Seadoo SPI years ago from the crank up so I have done the work before, not fun but not to hard. I have never worked on a Yamaha PWC though. I am assuming the biggest diff. is that Seadoo has the rotax motor. The Yamaha should be closer to my CR motor, without gears of course.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Hell, half the fun is working on them. Just check out my build thread.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...e-lost-my-mind!
    Hope you get it for a good price and enjoy your build!

O I would sometimes rather work on something than ride it. Well he turned down my offer and I cant see paying what he is asking for it. And the search continues...

Thread Information