Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What 2 stroke to buy?

Do to price constraints, I am looking for a 2-stroke Sea-Doo but don't know what would be the best set-up. I am looking for (2) skis, one sporty 2-seater and one 3-seater. Do you know what engine has the best reliability? Looking for rec fun and reliability. I have read/heard that the 787 or 587 are the most solid engines. Should I stay with carbs or go DI/RFI. I also need the 3-seater to have enough power to pull a tube every once in a while. Like to spend no more than about 6K. Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

I also live in Houston, let me know if you guys see any goods deals around, I look on craig's list daily but just dont know what to buy yet.

XP or SPX for the "fun" boat, and maybe a RX or GTX for the "bigger" boat. Look here or on pwctoday, both great sites for info and deals on nice stuff. BTW, airbornexp has a 96 XP with a 951 engine in it for sale on here, check the build threads for pics and info. It's a STEAL at 3000, for what it is and what he has into it, always have found lots of good deals in the for sale ads.

yeah, definitely an xp or spx for the fun one, and if I were you I would go with a gti gsi etc something with reverse

Thanks guys. What about engine size/type and fuel delivery type? I have also seen a 97 GSX in dallas for $2,100? Is the GSX better/worse than the SPX?

Quote Originally Posted by kp72chevy View Post
    Thanks guys. What about engine size/type and fuel delivery type? I have also seen a 97 GSX in dallas for $2,100? Is the GSX better/worse than the SPX?
    GSX is not as sporty as an xp/spx. I prefer the GSX. It is a little larger than the xp, tops out at about the same speed, but has a less tiring ride. The spx/xp's are fun for a while, but you can't keep up with anyone unless your on glass.

96 xp or 97-99 spx for the sporty ski or even a 96-97 gsx. both have the 785. the 98-up gti or 2001 -up gts have the 718 and are great for pulling tubes and are 3 seaters. the 96&97 gtx are 785 3 seaters with the 785 and are good for that purpose also. the rx is a 2 seater so I don't know if you can pull leagally in your state, but it has the 951. the 587 will be to slow for anything but putt around and you will be disappointed. stick to the carbed skis. the rfi's seem to be ok, but once it has problems you'll have to take it to the dealer or a shop the has access to the diagnostic software. stay away from the Di's. you should be able to find 2 of what I mentioned for well under your budget.

Thanks! I have located two pairs. I found a pair of 97 GSX's for 4000. I also found a 97 GSX and a 98 GTI for 4500. They lall have low hours for their age and cosmetically look great. Goods deals? Anything i should look for when i go to look at them?

+1
    water test them make sure their ready to ride without having to work on them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A smart admits!A wicked excuses!An idiot insists! mitsakosgt's Avatar
    +1
    As all guys said,get a XP 96 and up or a SPX 98 and up for fun and get a GTX 00-01 951 or a RX 00-01 for bigger ski.
    Stay away from Di/Rfi skis and their problems!!!

+1
    a RXT-X powered GSXLTD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! effing awesome !!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information