Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris 750 issues

I have a 95 Polaris 750. It runs fine once started, but it's getting it started that is the trouble. I am unable to get the thing to start without pouring a little gas in the carb. Once started it will run fine and start again without the gas in the carb but if I leave it sit for an hour or so, I am unable to start it again without the gas trick. I have read where people have bought primer kits (primer bulbs) to fix this issue. Upon trying to order one yesterday I was told the following:
    "knowing what i know about the Polaris Fuji motors, ( which is what you have). they are KNOWN for fuel related issues. the fuel pumps are weak, fuel lines go bad, the fuel select valves go bad, and your carbs are 15+ years old, and probably have never been rebuilt.

i would strongly suggest doing some routine maintenance to your ski. rebuild the carbs, up date your fuel system to a triple outlet fuel pump, replace lines, ect. i think you will then find it will start, and run properly.

if you DO NOT do this, you will run the risk of running lean, and ultimately engine failure."

Is this a true statement? Anyone else have this issue with their Polaris?

They are absolutely correct

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    I have a 95 Polaris 750...

if you DO NOT do this, you will run the risk of running lean, and ultimately engine failure."

Is this a true statement?

Anyone else have this issue with their Polaris? ...
    Sounds like you have received excellent advice.

Click my signature links for more info, but you have the core issues laid out for you right there.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Whoever told you that absolutely knows what they are talking about.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...-750-780-785-s

+1
    i recognize those quotes..........

he was wanting to just add a primer kit, to "band aid" the hard starting condition.

Thank you to all who replied. I guess my confusion started when I saw numerous other threads saying they all resolved the cold start issue with a primer bulb. I don't know much about skiis mechanically so this leads me to a couple of more questions.

1. What IS the purpose of installing a primer bulb? Are these typically in place of the choke or installed with the choke still intact?

2. Do the Polaris ski's typically start "cold" without putting a few drop of gas in the carb if they are in properly working order?

3. Can anyone recommend a Polaris jet ski repair person in the eastern half of Kansas? I do have a Polaris dealer in Manhattan, KS but they no longer deal with jet ski's meaning they are out of production.

Thanks again for all of the help/advice I received on this thread!

P.S. Yes John you do recognize those quotes but you did not respond when I sent follow up questions which is why I turned to the thread as I was still somewhat confused. I do appreciate the help that you did provide me.

When my domestics are properly tuned they still typically start after 2 or 3 revolutions with just a little choke.

If everything is working properly the fuel system should start fully "charged" for unless it sits for an extended period.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Fuel primer bulb vs primer pump/knob, cold starting

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    1. What IS the purpose of installing a primer bulb?

Are these typically in place of the choke or installed with the choke still intact?

2. Do the Polaris ski's typically start "cold" without putting a few drops of gas in the carb if they are in properly working order?
    The primary purpose of a primer bulb installed in the fuel supply hose before the fuel pump is to compensate for fuel draining back towards the fuel tank while the machine is sitting. The primer bulb pumps fuel from the tank up through the fuel pump and right into the carbs, thereby priming the entire fuel system with fuel.

A primer bulb can be used in conjunction with either the choke or with a primer pump/knob. The primer bulb gets the carburetors full of fuel. The choke or primer pump/knob gets the cold engine started.

If the fuel selector valve (petcock) is in good condition and is turned OFF when the engine is not running, then the standing fuel in the carbs and supply hoses should not be going anywhere. This is one of the reasons for having and using the fuel valve. It helps ensure that there is fuel ready and waiting at the carbs for the next start.

A primer pump that squirts raw fuel into the carb air intakes is different. The fuel for the primer push-pull knob is supplied from standing fuel in a loop of the fuel return hose. It allows the engine to start promptly even if the carbs and fuel pump are somewhat 'dry'. The primed and running engine works the fuel pump much harder than just cranking on the battery, so the fuel gets moved from the tank and into the carbs pronto - hopefully before the primed fuel burns off completely.

Fuel primer bulb

If the entire fuel system is in good condition, even a cold engine should start with just the stock choke applied. It may take multiple seconds of cranking, but it certainly should start. A strong battery helps too, since it pumps the fuel pump harder and faster during cranking.

Fuel primer knob/pump

i am having some trouble with my 1994 polaris sl 750 ski, i bought it yesterday from a guy that said it ran fine i took it out today and got on the water it did run but you it was just putting along when id try to get on it it would shut off or slow down it would go about 15MPH tops any body know what it could be? it also will not just idle without giving it gas or it will shut off? this is my first ski ive always messed with fourwheelers and dirtbikes so im kinda of new to the whole seadoo thing would appreciate some help! does this sound like the problems are anything similar to this guys? im just looking for some direction to where i should go and what i need to do.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by robredneck227 View Post
    i am having some trouble with my 1994 polaris sl 750 ski, i bought it yesterday from a guy that said it ran fine i took it out today and got on the water it did run but you it was just putting along when id try to get on it it would shut off or slow down it would go about 15MPH tops any body know what it could be? it also will not just idle without giving it gas or it will shut off? this is my first ski ive always messed with fourwheelers and dirtbikes so im kinda of new to the whole seadoo thing would appreciate some help! does this sound like the problems are anything similar to this guys? im just looking for some direction to where i should go and what i need to do.
    Welcome to the Hulk.

First read through this.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...-750-780-785-s

Then read the links at the bottom of K447 post above ^^^^^^^

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information