+1

Pair of '92 SL650's......Worth messing with?

In my Craigslist searching I've come across a deal on a pair of SL650's setting on a dual trailer for $800. The guys claims one has good compression but needs carb work and the other is 'locked up'. From the low res, generic pictures they look to be in good cosmetic condition.

If everything but the carbs and fuel lines is good on the 'good compression' ski I figure I'd probably have about $150 wrapped up in that one for carb kits and a triple outlet fuel pump.

The 'locked up' ski? Obviously could be a trashed crank, wedged piston, wear ring/impeller jammed, or bad pump bearings. Definitely a huge unknown here. I'm sure this one would need the carbs and triple pump outlet pump as well.

So, at minimum I'm looking at $300 for the pair in fuel repair/upgrades, then whatever else the 'locked up' ski would need.

I wouldn't be getting these to keep, this would be a buy - fix - sell endeavor. Considering the shortcomings of the 650 and the overall age, is this even worth considering? Would it be reasonable to think I could get $1800 to $2000 for the pair and the double trailer if they're both in running condition? I already have enough projects lined up fixing one ski to sell and two other friends wanting work done on theirs. Unless I would have a pretty good chance of making $600 to $800 off these skis I don't think it would be worth my time.

Whatcha think?

KJ

You could spend $300 just for a crank if one is needed, if the motor is junk your not looking at much demand for the parts plus I think the general public has a negative view towards Polaris pwc anyways.

+1
    Nah. Pass. Not worth it in the end. Be pretty hard to sell at 4.00 a gallon.not much demand for a 650sl. A 750 would be the lowest I would go.

+1
    Those are kind of the thoughts I had. From the looks of the trailer it's probably worth $500 alone. With the inferior pump design, age, and low power of the 650 I didn't figure these were really worth the effort. Plus, I can't seem to get any traction on the fix-up ski I have right now so it's probably nuts to think that I could actually get any time to put into these old beasts.

KJ

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonmtz View Post
    Those are kind of the thoughts I had. From the looks of the trailer it's probably worth $500 alone. With the inferior pump design, age, and low power of the 650 I didn't figure these were really worth the effort. Plus, I can't seem to get any traction on the fix-up ski I have right now so it's probably nuts to think that I could actually get any time to put into these old beasts.

KJ
    Hey Kevin, Yeah it's hard to say where the Polaris market is going to go.You would have to take a really good look at what condition they are actually in,and offer accordingly. I'd imagine on a popular lake you could get $500 for anything that runs-that's probbably where the 92's will be.Not running-might have to pay somone to move it. The trailer-you should leave some wiggle room for little stuff, I'd say $250-$300 in order to resell it.
    If you didn't have anything else to do on a Saturday afternoon,kick the tires and see if He would take $4-450,if you are confidant one will run.

+1
    If the trailer is for 2 skis and its mint. maybe buy the whole package for 500.00 , part 1 out, fix the other and sell it and the proceeds can go for the trailer. you will essentially get the trailer for free then. then you'll have a sweet trailer for your 2 skis you already have. unless you already have a double trailer, then no. Is the trailer aluminum? those get pricey real fast. if the trailer is an upgrade for you, then yeah. but dont pay 800.00 for everything. the skis just happen to be on the trailer your buying.lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    If the trailer is for 2 skis and its mint. maybe buy the whole package for 500.00 , part 1 out, fix the other and sell it and the proceeds can go for the trailer. you will essentially get the trailer for free then. then you'll have a sweet trailer for your 2 skis you already have. unless you already have a double trailer, then no. Is the trailer aluminum? those get pricey real fast. if the trailer is an upgrade for you, then yeah. but dont pay 800.00 for everything. the skis just happen to be on the trailer your buying.lol
    Kinda did that already in the fall of '09. Found a killer deal on a mint double trailer and 2 Yami 700's. Put the better of the two Yami's on my old single trailer and sold that to recoup money from the whole deal. Then I helped a kid in my church to get the other Yami running and essentially gave that one to him.

Long story short, I don't really need a double trailer.

I may just keep an eye on the listing and if is stays up much longer I might just shoot him a $400 or $500 offer and see if he'll take it. If so, I'm sure I could at least piece together one running ski from the 2 of them and make a little cash. For the most part though, I'll just set back and wait. If it looks like I'll have time for the project I'll jump, otherwise I won't need that cash that bad.

KJ

+1
    sounds like a good plan. find 2 -785's on a trailer and ill come get 1 of them.lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    sounds like a good plan. find 2 -785's on a trailer and ill come get 1 of them.lol
    Not a chance. If I find 2 - 785's on a double trailer they're mine! I would LOVE to have a 785!!!

Thread Information