Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Might buy 2003 Polaris Gensis I

I am pretty sure I might buy this but need some help. The seller states he had the crank, front cyl. replaced and all new injectors in 2009. He says he had a compression test done after the work was done and he said the compression was 125-105-125... He was told as long as they are above 100 it's fine. That's the part that scares me. If it runs great and does 55 with 3 people should I worry? Worst case scenario I run it for the summer and fix the middle cyl. in winter? How much do you think that would be in labor? Any thing else to look out for on this ski? I really like this Ski and a larger one fits my needs right now. Any help is appreciated!!
    Will this be a fairly reliable ski in the long run, it reads 25 hours but the seller says it probably has more like a couple hundred hours.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Overall the red domestic engines are fairly reliable, and the Genesis hull is solid and stable. Speed claims should be based on GPS results, not the built-in speedometer.

Once any initial problems have been corrected you will have a fun and reliable PWC that is rated for four riders. It is the lightest and smallest of the 4 passenger models ever made by any brand which means it is more PWC and less boat. The Ficht 2-stroke fuel injection system provides decent fuel economy for a PWC.

Couple hundred hours? You should do your own compression checks, of course. All spark plugs out, throttle held wide open.

A good engine will have compression PSI across all three cylinders within 5% from highest to lowest. A 10% difference means something needs to be done. 125 vs 105 is way more than 10% difference.

Weak compression means something is worn or broken, possibly piston damage. Don't expect to run it for the summer with a weak cylinder, as you risk doing more damage which will cost more to fix. The Genesis is a big hull and it needs the engine to be in good shape.

Also check fuel pressure, as the Ficht pressure regulator is known to fall off inside the fuel tank. Not that hard to fix, but the fuel pressure needs to be checked.

A water test (presuming compression isn't terrible) is recommended, and may reveal possible problems. A well running engine will sustain about 6700-6900RPM at WOT. Ignore the speed reading on the MFI display, watch the RPM for an indication of engine power.

A common problem is the TPS sensor on the throttle body starts to go bad/intermittent and cause weird symptoms like hard starting, rough running or inconsistent power. Sometimes the Ficht (fuel injection system) EMM module will need repair.

Would you be doing your own repair work?

Check my signature links for more info.

Let's say the compression is what is stated, what does / could that mean. What is the best case assuming everything else looks good. Is it stupid to buy knowing the compression is a bit off? With the variance being closer to 20% mean for sure I should fix it right away. It seems like he has had a lot of work done in the past couple years. I won't be doing the work myself, I would take it to a shop. Thank you for the quick reply, I have been reading many of your useful information and posts.

+1
    If you are going to be using a shop for repair work, ask them if they are comfortable working on the Polaris Ficht (pronounced fict) engines.

If at all possible arrange to have the shop evaluate the Genesis before you buy it. You may have to pay the shop for their time (and get the seller's agreement) but then you will know what you are buying into.

Without hands on evaluation by the shop, you and the shop have to assume that unknown problems will cost money+time. The shop should be able to ball park the cost to freshen one cylinder+piston, if that is all it needs.

It is prudent to assume there will be additional unexpected problems and price your purchase offer accordingly. Worst case is that the entire engine needs to be rebuilt and the EMM needs repair.

How much is the seller asking for the ski?

I can buy for 2,000 that's a good price for the Midwest from what I have seen, what do you guys think? How much for a top end in labor? And advice is great. Oh and are the cyl's. nickel coated or just standard standard.

You'd be looking at about $ 400+ in parts for new pistons and gaskets, $250 to bore all three jugs plus six or seven hours shop labor.....you'd be lucky to get out under a grand total.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

Well I think 2,000 is the lowest I can buy it for, is it worth 3,000 with a fresh top end? Also has new injectors and a new crank 2 years ago. What do you guys think? Again in the midwest prices seem higher than other areas but who knows.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by realdeal44 View Post
    ... are the cyl's. nickel coated or just standard standard.
    All the red domestic engines are not Nicasil coated - standard sleeves that can be bored

Personally, there is no way I would put $2000 into it with the work that needs to be done. You could run into even more problems when they crack open the motor and then be in even deeper.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information