Thread: 2002 rx di

2002 rx di

A friend of mine called me this morning that he's going to buy an 02 RX DI from his sister...What are things to look for on this model? I have owned 2 gsx limiteds but don't know much about the DI motor.

I have an 02 RXDI. You will hear both good and bad about them. On the good side, start easily, very fuel efficient, smooth running. Bad side; parts are expensive, not many dealers around that still work on them or know how. It used to be if you wanted to work on them yourself, it was very difficult as you need a tool to read the fault codes and such, and the dealer tool (BUDS) was the only way to do it. However, the Candoopro system has made it possible for DIY users to work on their own skis.

Dood, What is the difference between 01 and 02 DI's with regards to their octane requirements? It's my understanding that in 02 you could run 87 octane. Is it a difference mechanically or mpem programming that allows the lower octane fuel to be used? Can an 01 be made to run 87?

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunnerRon View Post
    Dood, What is the difference between 01 and 02 DI's with regards to their octane requirements? It's my understanding that in 02 you could run 87 octane. Is it a difference mechanically or mpem programming that allows the lower octane fuel to be used? Can an 01 be made to run 87?
    They made a bunch of (good) changes in '02. They called the new DI engine the LE model. (Note that some of the early '02 RXDI's have the old style engine; need to look at your model number to be sure)
    They totally redesigned the cylinder ports, to a 5 port design vs the 6 ports on the early models, a new head design, and different air injectors. The easy way to check which you have is to look at the air injectors; early ones are black and the later ones are gray. They have a totally new fuel and ignition maps in the MPEM as well. As a consequence, the LE model can use 87 octane gas vs 92 for the early models. And the later engines are more reliable and last longer.

A lot of people don't realize the difference, and put an early engine into a later model (or vice versa) and wonder why it doesn't run right. The fuel maps are that different between early and late models. If you put an early engine into a late ski, you have to put an early MPEM in to compensate.

It is not advisable to try tricks to run 87 octane in the early DI's. The only thing you can do is totally swap out MPEM, cylinders, pistons, heads and air injectors to the late stuff in order to be able to run 87 octane fuel.

You can run 87 octane in the '01 DI, with a couple of caveats.
    The MPEM senses the lower octane from the knock sensor, then changes the spark timing to compensate.
    However, you probably won't like the decrease in performance.
    The other thing is that if somehow the knock sensor doesn't work, the timing doesn't change, then the combustion area could get hot enough to cause detonation and piston melting if run to long at WOT.
    Not really worth it unless you only have 87 octane, and you don't demand WOT performance for very long without backing off to allow cooling.

Thread Information