Thread: need help

+1

need help

hey, my name is mike. i'm hopeing somebody can help me. i believe i have a bad throttle positioning sensor on my ski. i have a polaris genesis i 1200. does anyone know what the ohm meter reading should be for the tps? 0 to what? i appreciate any help i can get. or if anyone knows where i could get a good used one? polaris has had these on back order for about 9 months. thanks , mike

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

What model year is your Genesis i ?

TPS for 2002-2004 Ficht engines have been in short supply for a while now. More are expected soon, but no exact date. If it is urgent you may be able to find one on a repair shop shelf somewhere. Just make sure it is new, not used.

+1
    hey, thanks... my ski is a 2003. yeh i've been waiting for polaris to release them, but i've been waiting for 9mo.s and they just keep changing the dates. i'm not sure if they are ever going to have them.

+1
    As far as ohming one out, I hear it is difficult with just a ohm meter. The new ones will be out real soon I hear. They were having issues with the variations.

+1
    I have heard that production is imminent - that is all I can say at the moment.

Bench testing a TPS is nearly useless. If you suspect the TPS is bad, it probably is.

If you think a TPS is good, testing it on the bench will not answer the question. The reason is that often the engine vibration and heat are part of the problem. On the bench without vibration it might test OK, but that proves nothing.

The pig-tail TPS are not a resistance potentiometer. They are an electronic device, powered by 5 volts. Cannot be tested with an ohm-meter.

+1
    hey thanks, i appreciate the information. i think i've got a good lead on one. i'll have to see how it turns out, otherwise i guess i'm at the mercy of polaris....

+1
    Anyone know what other problems might look like a bad tps. I already checked the fuel pressure regulator, it hasnt fallen off. basicly the ski idles fine. when i first put it in the water it takes off pretty good but bogging and surging pretty much all the way to top speed bout 60mph. then it starts falling off ,loseing speed and will die if i stay in the throttle.if i let off it will stay running and will idle all day. it doesnt always make it to top speed when i first put it in the water, sometimes it would bogg down before that. but once it does you really cant get any speed out of it at all before it tries to die. any ideas?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wheresmike View Post
    Anyone know what other problems might look like a bad TPS?

I already checked the fuel pressure regulator, it hasn't fallen off...
    Did you check the actual fuel pressure with a pressure gauge? Just seeing the regulator still in place does not guarantee that the fuel pump is 100% good.

Without a known good TPS we are just guessing. Those symptoms with a good TPS would lead me to suspect the EMM, with secondary suspects in the stator+flywheel or a sensor.

+1
    i did check fuel pressure. when i first checked i had 0 pressure. thats when i check to see if the fuel pressure regulator had fallen off. when i saw that it hadnt fallen , i tried to figure out why 0 pressure. i ended up removing the valve stem from the shrader valve and then put the fuel gauge on and it had great pressure. so i assumed it was a bad valve stem.

Thread Information