Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

problems with gp1200r loosing power after 30 to 45 mins of running fine

looking for any help on my 2000 yamaha gp1200r. i purchased it about a year ago with 28hrs showing it now has 105 hrs. i love my ski but lately im not . i took it out about a month ago with no prior problems and headed out on the ocean . there was a 2 to 4 ft chop and the ski has always run good in chop but after about 30 to 45 minutes it was lide a cylinder dropped out. i had tocontinue on to the inlet with the motor sounding more like an old vw bug. it bogged the whole way to inlet and when i got to where i could the only thing i could see was the 2 foward cylinders seemed hot but not overheated and the cylinder to the back of sled seemed almost cool wether that makes sense dont know. after sitting for about 45mins i started the ski ran it up and down acouple times then headed home out front on the ocean and about 30mins same thing it almost wouldnt plane off. i took it to the canal with ski mechanic road up and down canal for abot 30mins and it ran fine ,imagine that. i took it back to the ocean twice after that and twice it did same thing.i pulled the powervalves off and found two stuck and cleaned them reinstalled ,replaced spark plug boots ,took it to the ocean thinking problem solved and sure enough 45mins later same thing. the ski has a stage two with a stinger exhust. if anybody has any suggestions i would be most grateful. sorry for the story but id try anything to get my ski back. thanx again

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk..

Do you still have the CAT installed??

no it was removed before i purchased

+1
    Could be a lean seizure when was the last time the carbs were cleaned? Or some blockage in the cooling system.

sorry for posting in wrong forum im an idiot thanks for your input ill head on over to the 2stroke department

i took my ski back to the water today and it ran great for like an hour and then just started the same bogging down again. I tried to trouble shoot whatever i could see on the water and again its like a cylinder is almost dropping out . #3 cylinder seems very cool and if i remove the boot off the plug it kind of runs the same on low end where when i remove either one of the other boots the engine almost dies . Is there any possibilty either the plug wire or coil could be getting weak spark for that cylinder could be giving trouble after an hour or so of running strong?

+1
    The short answer to your question is yes. Wires can go bad with time. However, before you start replacing parts, have you done a compression check on each of your cylinders? It does sound like a lean seizure like Beerdart suggested.

Also, whenever you have these kinds of problems, it is usually best to not ride the boat until you figure out the root cause of the problem. Two strokes, once they begin to go bad, will only get worse the more you ride it, and they get worse very quickly. What I mean by worse, I mean the dollars for repair start to stack up quick.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    The short answer to your question is yes. Wires can go bad with time. However, before you start replacing parts, have you done a compression check on each of your cylinders? It does sound like a lean seizure like Beerdart suggested.

Also, whenever you have these kinds of problems, it is usually best to not ride the boat until you figure out the root cause of the problem. Two strokes, once they begin to go bad, will only get worse the more you ride it, and they get worse very quickly. What I mean by worse, I mean the dollars for repair start to stack up quick.
    +1

check compression
    check spark on each cylinder

+1
    mine was having the same exact problem. It would only mess up while riding though, not in idle. I figured it out when one day i went to pull a spark plug cable with the motor on and it shocked me (i then found a tiny slit on a wire).

Buy the msd wires from the online store and be done with it...

thank you for input i did a compression check today and all 3 cylinders were even at about 135. if i look at changing plug wires are they sealed into coils and will i be able to secure and seal the new one properly?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information