2001 700 Virage (Carb) Plug Read

My thoughts are that this is a good read but I’ve been wrong before… what do you guys think?

Max RPMs was 6600 but mostly in the range of ~6550; fakeometer max was 53 but mostly around ~51.5

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1635.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	236248

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What does the piston wash pattern look like?

+1
    Looks like a good heat range, I think those plugs look pretty good.

Thanks for the response…

I haven’t done a piston wash check; not to keen on the idea of pulling the head. Is this something you would highly recommend? I’m well capable; just don’t like pulling things apart unless there’s a good reason.

If I decide to…. do I just ride it around like everyday use; come home and pull the head to check? Or is there a particular procedure?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jbullybully View Post
    ... I haven’t done a piston wash check; not to keen on the idea of pulling the head. Is this something you would highly recommend? I’m well capable; just don’t like pulling things apart unless there’s a good reason...
    Plug reading can be tricky, and it is easy to be fooled.

Piston wash readings seem to be much more reliable that plug reading. No need to remove the cylinder heads. You just need a tiny LED light that will reach inside the plug hole. Move the piston to BDC, put the light inside the hole, then have a look-see. Do this with each cylinder, and compare to the posted piston wash patterns.

Well, I can certainly do that. I’ll see what I can come up with in a tiny LED light.

How do you determine when the two stroke rattle is too much? The one were you really hear it at idle but goes away when a little throttle is applied.

+1
    They look weird to me. The tips look like a "varnish" color. Are you using any fuel additives ? What type of oil ?
    Looking down the center electrode-it looks lean.
    I'm guessing you pulled the plugs at home-was it started after being on the trailer ? What rpm's before pulling the plugs.

To use the plug readding,operate at one rpm and check plugs-there are usually 2 or 3 jets/speeds,that all add different amounts of fuel at diffrent rpm's.There fore differnet readings at different speeds. (your single carb uses 4 jets-not sure how that affects things ) Running it on the trailer changes everything.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jbullybully View Post
    ... How do you determine when the two stroke rattle is too much? The one where you really hear it at idle but goes away when a little throttle is applied.
    That would likely be the impeller rattling on the drive shaft splines. Polaris jet pumps do that.

You can minimize the noise by keeping the splines at both ends of the drive shaft well greased, but it will still rattle some.

k447
    This is definitely top end rattle; When I had the drive shaft off, yes it was a lot quitter without all of the other stuff rattling around but the noise I’m talking about was still there. I thought it was typical for two strokes, I know I’ve heard it during my motorcycle racing days; never bothered anything and pretty much all bikes did it. I’m thinking upper piston/rod bearing noise

When I replaced the driveshaft (ebay) the rubber ends were there and both ends were greased; put a lot of grease in the prop spline and PTO spline area as well as packed the shaft bearing and put the grease gun to it after it was all buttoned up as well.

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------
    casey67
    Well, I actually did try several plugs reads at different RPMs. I held the RPMs steady at a certain RPM for at least 30 or more seconds; killed it without idling back the throttle. All reads looked similar, the only thing I did notice was the time I checked when holding at 3K the plugs were noticeably hotter. All of the other reads I could use my hands with no issue but the 3K I had to keep the plugs in the socket because it was too hot to hold. It was hotter but I didn’t feel as though it was dangerously hot, just a little too hot to hold and even those still read the same. The picture was wide open for at 30 to 40 seconds; killed without idling back; somewhere around 6550 RPMs.

To be truthful it was hard to take pictures; the same plug read looked so different depending on angle, flash, and or lighting. I selected these because it portrayed what they actually looked like.

Thread Information