Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

785 starter fix part 2

I pulled the old starter and put on the one I bench tested that was good, cleaned every thing good, and presto,
    same problem, so I moved the ground wire to the block behind the intake manifold and Viola, it started right up first crank, I don't believe it, it was like magic, gremlins be gone,
    But-- I noticed tonight and when it came back from the mechanics shop at the race, the MFD was Saying LOPR for low power,
    It has never said that no matter how dead the battery was, and now that it starts and runs good, it still says LOPR
    did the mechanic touch something with his leed testers and short something out??
    I try and toggle the MFD over to the charging volts while it is running, but it is not there now, it was always there, even with the ground and starter problem, once the engine started it always showed 16.1 volts,
    but now it is reading LOPR??

any ideas??

many thanks,

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

I reset the MFD and Presto, it is working again!!! wooo HOOOOO!!
    No LOPR, charging 14 to 15 volts, I need a frosty beverage,
    I was reading up on K447's past posts on the electrical system and how to reset the mfd,
    and it worked,
    thanks for everyone's input,

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by skigolfnut View Post
    ... I moved the ground wire to the block behind the intake manifold and Viola, it started right up first crank, ... it was like magic, gremlins be gone,

... I reset the MFD and Presto, it is working again!...
    No LOPR, charging 14 to 15 volts...
    Check the actual charging voltage with a multi-meter on the battery. Never rely on the MFD voltage reading as a diagnostic.

Moving the battery negative cable to the intake manifold stud solved the starter problem - good. But that means the bolts that hold the engine to the bed plate are corroded or loose.

Give the engine a very firm heave side to side and watch for any movement between engine and bed plate. The two should move as a unit. Any suspicion of looseness in those engine mounting bolts (which are directly under the very bottom of the engine) means you should pull the engine and fix the problem.

+1
    My sl750 engine was not bolted at all/ all four bolts fell out and were on the bottom of the hull. but my problem was the motor would cut out while jumping.. hmmmm. i wonder why? lol might want to check those bolts down under.

can ya try to put everything back the way it was and see how things work? starter problem, volts,mfd,,ete...go back to peg 1 and start over.. guess you cant if the mfd got fried.or partially fried possibly.

what was getting done at the mechanics shop? then you had the issue?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    ... can ya try to put everything back the way it was ...
    Why? There is no problem now - starter works, MFD works.

Just need to check that engine bolts are not loose, and battery charge voltage is correct.

+1
    I put a multi meter on the actual battery after starting it last night and I was getting 14 volts or so, while it was running,

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skigolfnut View Post
    I put a multi meter on the actual battery after starting it last night and I was getting 14 volts or so, while it was running,
    Sounds fine. As long as the battery voltage is fairly stable in the 14.x range, the charging system is doing its job.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Why? There is no problem now - starter works, MFD works.

Just need to check that engine bolts are not loose, and battery charge voltage is correct.
    There is still a problem you should not have to move the ground from the original location .I would try and find out why ???? but thats just me

+1
    I would like to fix the original problem, I run in salt water with this one, but I rinse the bilge pretty good, where would the ground be, coming from the cradle to the block??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    There is still a problem you should not have to move the ground from the original location .I would try and find out why ???? but thats just me
    Keith, this is why. just any ol place to put a ground is not good. theres a reason why it wont work.I would want to know also.

is your mfd now acting correctly?

+1
    Mfd is doing good, I did the re-set last night and all is well, stator is charging good, now I just have to find out why the block isint grounded to the cradle?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information