Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

VXR Breakin and Oil change

Hi everyone. Just wondering what everybodys break in procedures are and at what hours you guys are planning the first oil change . Semi syn or full syn after breakin? Amsoil ?
    I just pick My Blue VXR up Yesterday .

+1
    You can run a full synthetic after your break in. A bunch of people here are using the AMSOIL Full Synthetic Marine Oil 10w-40 in the 4 stroke engines.
    https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/wcf.aspx?zo=1499968

I know people are changing the oil out at 10 hours for the first oil change. Remember that you will have a lot of wear particles going round and round in your engine especially on your first oil change.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 800AMSOIL4U View Post
    You can run a full synthetic after your break in. A bunch of people here are using the AMSOIL Full Synthetic Marine Oil 10w-40 in the 4 stroke engines.
    https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/wcf.aspx?zo=1499968

I know people are changing the oil out at 10 hours for the first oil change. Remember that you will have a lot of wear particles going round and round in your engine especially on your first oil change.
    Thanks for the link Kevin

+1
    No Problem

I changed my oil at 10 hrs. Will do so again at 25 plus change the oil filter too (even though the manual I believe says do this at 50 hours). Also at 10 hrs, some shots of grease into the zirk fitting (for intermediate housing area) is in order. There is already some grease in the housing area from the Factory but no grease in the rubber hose leading to the housing area. For me, it took 10 slow pumps from a "small style" grease gun to get the job done. On the last pump you will feel some "resistance"; that's when you stop. The grease in this intermediate area is only to fill "space"; you are not lubing the bearings per se. The Bearings are "sealed" so the purpose of the grease in this area is not entirely clear to me (some YAM models do not have this grease / zirk feature at all).

Anyway, that's my 10 hour take. I got 14 hours now and going strong. This may well be a 500 hour ski . . . or beyond! JB

[QUOTE=john belton;1675549]I changed my oil at 10 hrs. Will do so again at 25 plus change the oil filter too (even though the manual I believe says do this at 50 hours). Also at 10 hrs, some shots of grease into the zirk fitting (for intermediate housing area) is in order. There is already some grease in the housing area from the Factory but no grease in the rubber hose leading to the housing area. For me, it took 10 slow pumps from a "small style" grease gun to go the job. On the last pump you will feel some "resistance"; that's when you stop. The grease in this intermediate area is only to fill "space"; you are not lubing the bearings per se. The Bearings are "sealed" so the purpose of the grease in this area is not entirely clear to me (some YAM models do not have this grease / zirk feature at all).

The grease is there to displace any water that might try to seep in. I have it written down somewhere how much greast it takes to fill the hose on a FX HO. Seems like it was about 10cc. The large grease guns I have average 1cc per pump. The yamaha marine greas is a aluminum complex grease. I bought some of it and it went bad. (oil dripped out and the grease became hard) I swiched to the Bell Ray Marine Grease. It also is a aluminum complex. I feel any marine grease will suffice.

Roy

So idle 5 mins let it cool down and 20 mins of 4000 rpms or less with constant throttle changes sound about right ? For break in ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by oi812 View Post
    So idle 5 mins let it cool down and 20 mins of 4000 rpms or less with constant throttle changes sound about right ? For break in ?
    Warm up for 5 minutes and ride it like you stole it with short wot runs.

good info... amsoil great product for the 2 cycle motors,, equally as good for the 4 strokers i imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Warm up for 5 minutes and ride it like you stole it with short wot runs.
    +1, except I varied from idle to 4k a few times, then went to 5k, 6k, etc... until I was doing wide open runs after about 15 minutes. Based on feedback I received when I asked this question, I also made sure to cut the throttle after a run to allow for better cleaning of the cylinder walls between runs. 2009 FZS, 2.7 hours so far. Planning to double that over the next several days!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information