Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Yet another msx 150 with wategate problem, voltage regulator, etc

Hi! I have an MSX 150 from new and have started having turbo boost problems. I think it's the waste gate "stuck" problem I have read on other threads.

The query I have is about how easy it should be to move the wastegate lever, it seems this should be easily moveable by hand? Do I need to disconnect the waste gate actuator rod to do this or should I be able to do this with the actuator (bellows) still connected?

All help really appreciated - oh by the way my username is seams ayr because I hail from ayr in Scotland.. Och aye!
    Last edited by K447; 06-07-2011 at 09:42 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Click my signature link, then find the MSX 150 (Weber) section.

In addition to keeping the water gate working properly, read about other common issues and fixes, and the ECU upgrade available from Desperado.

Thanks K447 - I feel honoured that you have chosen to reply to my enquiry - i have already read many of your threads and are really impressed and grateful to have someone with your knowledge and experience around!

I have read the threads around the wastegate actuator you mentioned - but none of these seem to suggest how to remove the actuator arm - it's probably just a case of removing the lock nut and then pulling it off - but I didn't want to try that without asking someone who had already done this first. I guess the alternative will be to undo the bolts holding the actuator (bellows) in place.

Once again thanks for replying - your intervention has encouraged me to become much more involved in the Hulk - I'll organize some more info about PWC where I am shortly for general interest..

+1
    Welcome,

You should be ably to move it by hand. It takes a bit of a push as you are pushing against a spring. If you were to take the bolt out it should move freely.
    If it does not work on it with crc.
    I lube mine after every ride.
    Cheers

Thanks tosh! I have managed to disconnect the actuator arm by removing the bolt at the end of the arm and unscrewing it. I,ve now been working on the wategate lever by working it back and forth and lubricating with wd40 and easing oil. So far it seems slacker but I still can't move it back and forth by hand ... I,ll keep at it overbthe next couple of days to see if the combination of moving it to and fro and using copius amounts of lubricant eases it any more. I have had great use out of the ski and still believe it's worth the effort it's a great long distance cruiser! I get about 140 mikes to the tank...

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

I should say "kosh" - my humble apolgies. This iPad thingy is hard to get spelling correct.

Seamanayr .....

+1
    WD-40 is not very effective. Use something powerful like PB Blaster, Kroil or Liquid Wrench.

Home made equivalent (and some claim this to be more effective than the above commercial products) would be acetone mixed 50/50 with automatic transmission fluid (type F fluid).

I think my signature links have info on the waste gate loosening methods, including wrapping a cloth around the shaft to keep the penetrating liquid soaking the shaft..

Also on an iPad at the moment

Hi k447 - thanks for the advice(as ever) . I don,t have access or knowledge of kroil or pb blaster here in (unusually hot and sunny) ayr. Acetone is even harder to find! Anyways I guess I just gotta keep trying to ease the wastegate lever off until I get to the point where I Reach the situation where the lever can be moved by hand and without me using a spanner! I suspect I might be here forever -sigh ...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamanayr View Post
    ... I don't have access or knowledge of Kroil or PB Blaster here ...
    Apparently a product called Plus Gas Dismantling Lubricant gets good reviews in the UK.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PLG809[1].jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	236499

EAC on the product label refers to English Abrasives & Chemicals Ltd, but it is unclear if EAC has been taken over by another company.

Unhappy

Hi K477 - I've taken your advice and ordered this on-line from a UK supplier - great tip! Thank you! I'll advise how it goes ...

Now if I can only find that bleedin spanner that I dropped into the hold when trying to release the wastegate lever - it seems to have disappeared underneath the engine block! Damn, blast flippin thing!

You can tell I'm good at this - eh?

Thanks once again

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamanayr View Post
    Now if I can only find that bleedin spanner that I dropped into the hold when trying to release the wastegate lever - it seems to have disappeared underneath the engine block!
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....... Those 150's are the worst when it comes to retrieving lost stuff under the engine!!!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information