Why is this driveshaft different like this????

Just got my new driveshaft. I need to know if these differences matter before i install.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7141.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	236412   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7143.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	236413   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7142.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	236411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7140.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	236414   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7139.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	236415  

Pic 1 = New driveshaft is longer.
    Pic 2 = extra groove! towards the left.
    Pic 3 = different taper to shaft
    Pics with splines showing = splines on new shaft are shorter.

All pics = the new driveshaft is the dusty and dry looking (no lube) on the splines.

---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 AM ----------

Heading off to work so please keep any comments coming as I would LOVE to get this installed tonight if this is the correct shaft. Cycle Parts Nation showed a different part # for this and I ordered per my '05 RXP. I even emailed them right after to ask about the different numbers and told them precisely what i needed.

Thanks!

+1
    IF IF IF Im not mistaking i THINK i read somewhere were Seadoo was now making one driveshaft to fit two different boats.....I could and am probley wrong but for some reason i recall this topic came about before...

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    +1 blkturbo i'd be asking too..there's alot of differences between them

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    Pic 1 = New driveshaft is longer.
    Good for setback on the impeller.
    Pic 2 = extra groove! towards the left.
    What Snoman said.....
    Pic 3 = different taper to shaft
    longer pump bearing area?
    Pics with splines showing = splines on new shaft are shorter.
    Good, less chance of destroying the seal inside the PTO coupler.
    All pics = the new driveshaft is the dusty and dry looking (no lube) on the splines.
    Add some anit-seize.---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 AM ----------

Heading off to work so please keep any comments coming as I would LOVE to get this installed tonight if this is the correct shaft. Cycle Parts Nation showed a different part # for this and I ordered per my '05 RXP. I even emailed them right after to ask about the different numbers and told them precisely what i needed.

Thanks!
    Time for a test fitting.....

+1
    It will work no problems!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    Time for a test fitting.....
    Yay for iPad!.....

Yea I only mentioned about the dry and dusty shaft to make sure you guys knew which was my old one vs new one.

About the test fitting...I'm nervous about a test fit NOT indicating whether these particular differences matter or not

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by suck my wake View Post

Cool but just to give me the warm fuzzies before I install and hammer the throttle at the lake, can you tell me what all it is that makes you so certain?

Thanks!!!

Also, wouldn't Jerry have seen this before....so that he could add to your certainty? I'm just really nervous and skeptical about these shafts now. I don't need anymore reasons to yank this stuff apart again

+1
    The extra notch is for the x boats. Both machines use the same shaft now. Its universal. And slightly longer. Its fine. I bought a used shaft over a year ago for my rad 4 and had it machined and it had these differences. I found out that seadoo made them more universal. Worked Great.

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by suck my wake View Post
    +1

+1
    [Cool but just to give me the warm fuzzies before I install and hammer the throttle at the lake, can you tell me what all it is that makes you so certain?

Thanks!!!

Also, wouldn't Jerry have seen this before....so that he could add to your certainty? I'm just really nervous and skeptical about these shafts now. I don't need anymore reasons to yank this stuff apart again [/QUOTE]

Jerry wouldn't sell it if he wasn't sure it would fit and I have seen enough driveshafts to know the one you have will work as long as you are installing it in a p or p-x ski!!! The splines don't have to look 100% the same, the shaft has 2 c-clip grooves so it will fit both rxp's and p-x's and if its just a little longer it's not a big deal. The larger bump at the prop end is where the nose cone seals up so that won't make any difference and besides most of us aren't running a nose cone anyway. I would highly recommend that you align the drivetrain before you put the shaft in, but thats just my opinion..................

Jerry wouldn't sell it if he wasn't sure it would fit and I have seen enough driveshafts to know the one you have will work as long as you are installing it in a p or p-x ski!!! The splines don't have to look 100% the same, the shaft has 2 c-clip grooves so it will fit both rxp's and p-x's and if its just a little longer it's not a big deal. The larger bump at the prop end is where the nose cone seals up so that won't make any difference and besides most of us aren't running a nose cone anyway. I would highly recommend that you align the drivetrain before you put the shaft in, but thats just my opinion..................[/QUOTE]

Okay thanks everyone! I appreciate the help in here!

By the way - I didnt buy it from Jerry. I bought the driveshaft from Cycle parts nation since the price was cool....and at this point, i need to start concerning myself with money spent in the garage - built block for the turbo supra, lifting the Tacoma + wheels n tires, and trying to hit 80mph with the RXP this season Good thing I dont have kids yet!

Thread Information