Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1

Relocating my intercooler

I'm kicking around the idea of mounting a Frozen boost type 4 I/C where the stock airbox used to be. It looks like there is a little more room to work and half of the mount is already there. The only issue is running the 3 inch alum. piping over to the manifold. Mounting the BOV should be easier with the outlet of the S/C and the inlet of the I/C being farther apart.

Has anyone tried this before? is there a reason it wouldn't be a good idea?
    I appreciate any input- Thanks, Chad

+1

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cooler1.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	236494

Rear mount cooler setup.

+1
    Hi Chad,
    You can mount any ic anywhere in the ski. Basically, bigger the better. As Richies setup above is a little extreme (24psi+) it just shows almost anything is possible.
    The frozenboost stuff is good and cheap. I think most would agree with that??
    However manufacturing the pipework is always the hard part, and mounting the ic so it stays where you want it is the next issue.
    In the past 2.5 years I have seen one guy had his over where your talking about. But it was years ago now and finding the pic would take a bit of "search" time.
    I would go for a bolt-in solution as it saves time and money and testing. However nothing stopping you if you got the skills.
    What's the best bolt-on intercooler?.............loaded question which is another thread in itself.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Dean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RichieFZR View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cooler1.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	236494

Rear mount cooler setup.
    Wholy crap Richie Thats crazy. Cool, But crazy

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
    Hi Chad,
    You can mount any ic anywhere in the ski. Basically, bigger the better. As Richies setup above is a little extreme (24psi+) it just shows almost anything is possible.
    The frozenboost stuff is good and cheap. I think most would agree with that??
    However manufacturing the pipework is always the hard part, and mounting the ic so it stays where you want it is the next issue.
    In the past 2.5 years I have seen one guy had his over where your talking about. But it was years ago now and finding the pic would take a bit of "search" time.
    I would go for a bolt-in solution as it saves time and money and testing. However nothing stopping you if you got the skills.
    What's the best bolt-on intercooler?.............loaded question which is another thread in itself.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Dean
    Thanks Dean. I think I'm going to give it a try. I like the Frozen boost and I'm definitely up for tearing into things. I'll post some pics and give up dates when i get started.

I mounted my frozen boost type 9 where the stock air box was. Built my own bracket and use the four studs on the side of the hull, with a small piece of dense foam between the hull and bracket. Built the bracket with the perfect taper so the intercooler sits snug on the mount tabs and the V shape means the IC sits snug with little shear on the two mounting bolts.

NOT any easy bracket to build or install, took some time and patients. So far no cracks in the hull, brackets or IC. I did cheat a bit though, the bottom of the IC sits on the engine mount, its half inch'ish heavy aluminum, not worried about it. I ride almost exclusively in the ocean and rough water.

Piping is a snug fit, tricky to get the BOV in place, but it worked. No problems with any of the set up, had a pipe mandrel bent to the shape i needed. Its a little hokey at the bottom end to get to the throttle body though. Bought LONG elbows and trimmed them appropriately, joining to soft elbows together...

Super air did the same thing, except with a XS intercooler, if you use the frozen boost do not use his parts list. The ICs have different outlets.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...light=superair

If you need anymore info ill do what i can do help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0231.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	259.8 KB 
ID:	236497   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0230.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	266.0 KB 
ID:	236495   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0232.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	236496  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by XLT Chad View Post
    Wholy crap Richie Thats crazy. Cool, But crazy

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

Thanks Dean. I think I'm going to give it a try. I like the Frozen boost and I'm definitely up for tearing into things. I'll post some pics and give up dates when i get started.
    HAHAHA yeah, someone has to be crazy around here!!

Dean should know, As this is Deans setup I got off him. Its the Cool of the COOLER!!
    Last edited by RichieFZR; 04-22-2011 at 11:57 PM. Reason: c

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug78 View Post
    I mounted my frozen boost type 9 where the stock air box was. Built my own bracket and use the four studs on the side of the hull, with a small piece of dense foam between the hull and bracket. Built the bracket with the perfect taper so the intercooler sits snug on the mount tabs and the V shape means the IC sits snug with little shear on the two mounting bolts.

NOT any easy bracket to build or install, took some time and patients. So far no cracks in the hull, brackets or IC. I did cheat a bit though, the bottom of the IC sits on the engine mount, its half inch'ish heavy aluminum, not worried about it. I ride almost exclusively in the ocean and rough water.

Piping is a snug fit, tricky to get the BOV in place, but it worked. No problems with any of the set up, had a pipe mandrel bent to the shape i needed. Its a little hokey at the bottom end to get to the throttle body though. Bought LONG elbows and trimmed them appropriately, joining to soft elbows together...

Super air did the same thing, except with a XS intercooler, if you use the frozen boost do not use his parts list. The ICs have different outlets.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...light=superair

If you need anymore info ill do what i can do help.
    Excellent. Thanks Doug. It looks like you really spent some time on this. Nice work on those mounting brackets.
    I was picturing in my head running out the bottom with the type 4. Now after looking at your pics, I'm not sure if I'd have the clearance to do that. Also the outlet to the manifold would be a real PITA to connect and get to.

Great info, thanks for sharing this.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by XLT Chad View Post
    I'm kicking around the idea of mounting a Frozen boost type 4 I/C where the stock airbox used to be. It looks like there is a little more room to work and half of the mount is already there. The only issue is running the 3 inch alum. piping over to the manifold. Mounting the BOV should be easier with the outlet of the S/C and the inlet of the I/C being farther apart.

Has anyone tried this before? is there a reason it wouldn't be a good idea?
    I appreciate any input- Thanks, Chad

ive seen what your trying to do done on a sho before but using the XS intercooler, very popular I/C for the SC seadoos.
    i know guys that where using the XS I/C on the sho's in that same location before there was a aftermarket I/C available and it worked great.
    but imo, it will be easier to fit a type 13 or, type 14 wich has a little bigger core size, and the piping will be much shorter.. look thru this build thread theres pics of how this I/C was mounted, so you can get an idea . http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ect-CF-XLT-SHO

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 305coco View Post
    ive seen what your trying to do done on a sho before but using the XS intercooler, very popular I/C for the SC seadoos.
    i know guys that where using the XS I/C on the sho's in that same location before there was a aftermarket I/C available and it worked great.
    but imo, it will be easier to fit a type 13 or, type 14 which has a little bigger core size, and the piping will be much shorter.. look thru this build thread theres pics of how this I/C was mounted, so you can get an idea . http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ect-CF-XLT-SHO
    Yep, Ross did an awesome job with that. That location and his mounting brackets where my first option, and the one that I'll probably wind up going with. I agree with you that the smaller the pipe runs and the closer to the manifold you can stay, the better off you are. I also like the idea of the type 14 with the bigger core. If you have the room, why not?

Thanks Jorge I appreciate the info.

Thread Information