Where should I hardwire a GPS power cord in an FZS?

Iíll be attaching my Nuvi 500 similar to the way hitman did with a permanent hardwire for the GPS power cord. Where should I attach it? Is their an easy way to get switched power that wonít void my warranty by splicing into an existing electrical component?

+1
    With the guidance of this forum, I installed a relay using this switched 12 source connected to the ECU:

You can see more on Post #7 of this link.

Not sure why this would void your warranty unless it caused a problem.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    With the guidance of this forum, I installed a relay using this switched 12 source connected to the ECU:

You can see more on Post #7 of this link.

Not sure why this would void your warranty unless it caused a problem.
    Ya beat me to it Craig...just went & searched for your thread since it was the only one I remember using a relay.

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
    Iíll be attaching my Nuvi 500 similar to the way hitman did with a permanent hardwire for the GPS power cord. Where should I attach it? Is their an easy way to get switched power that wonít void my warranty by splicing into an existing electrical component?
    You can also splice into the switched 12v wire for the gauge cluster in the front of the ski. It's a red wire with a yellow stripe. I doubt you'll need a relay for the Nuvi. I have 2 digital gauges spliced into the gauge cluster wiring without issue. You can see how Jerry & I wired gauges that way in this thread:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...gauge-on-a-SHO

+1
    SHObiz get the cudos for showing me exactly which wire to use and Beerdart learned me how to install a relay (not really electrically inclined). Like most things I've done on my ski, this was easier after doing it once.

I am not sure you would need a relay for a GPS. I didn't install one on my snowmobile when I hard-wired my GPS on that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    SHObiz get the cudos for showing me exactly which wire to use and Beerdart learned me how to install a relay (not really electrically inclined). Like most things I've done on my ski, this was easier after doing it once.

I am not sure you would need a relay for a GPS. I didn't install one on my snowmobile when I hard-wired my GPS on that.
    I'm not at all familiar with how relays work. With your setup, does it power your AFR gauge when you start the motor, or do you have to turn it on manually with the switch you installed? I'll probably want to rewire mine so my GPS & all 3 gauges(boost, IAT & AFR) are setup similar to yours, all powered from the battery. Also, where'd you buy the relay & waterproof fuse?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    I'm not at all familiar with how relays work. With your setup, does it power your AFR gauge when you start the motor, or do you have to turn it on manually with the switch you installed? I'll probably want to rewire mine so my GPS & all 3 gauges(boost, IAT & AFR) are setup similar to yours, all powered from the battery. Also, where'd you buy the relay & waterproof fuse?
    Basically, a relay is an electrically operated switch. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relay With the 12 volt switched power source, when the ski is unlocked and the ECU is powered-up my relay and AFR gauge are powered-up through the relay from the battery.

I purchased this relay and this waterproof inline fuse holder from Digi-Key. The fuse holder is sweet.

I drilled a small hole in the upper part of the midwall and mounted the relay there with a bolt through the midwall.

I believe I purchased a couple extra relays so if you want one, let me know and I'll see if I can find them.

+1
    Basically you want to use a Relay when you need to supply more power to one or more things. The issue is that the lead that you are tapping into can only handle a certain amount of power. A relay takes almost no power to "trigger" the switch inside of it. So what you do is supply a heavier gauge of wire directly from the battery to the relay and then use that power to power what you need. So for example, the supply wire (the one that you cut into in the above example) may only handle 1 amp, but you can get a relay that can handle 20 or 30 amps. So you feed the relay with a heavy gauge wire, that can handle more amps and power what you need from that.

So what the relay does is when you get the "power" from that lead, it will automatically turn ON that switch and provide power to whatever you need powered. That way you do not need to manually turn on a switch and won't *forget* to turn it off when you are done.

+1
    Thanks for the explanation guys & the links Craig. It sounds like I'm on the right track with how I plan to rewire my gauges & GPS. I'm pretty sure an LC-1/AFR gauge is gonna draw a lot more amps than the other gauges I've been using since it needs to heat the O2 sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Thanks for the explanation guys & the links Craig. It sounds like I'm on the right track with how I plan to rewire my gauges & GPS. I'm pretty sure an LC-1/AFR gauge is gonna draw a lot more amps than the other gauges I've been using since it needs to heat the O2 sensor.

Yep.

Thread Information