The new guy's intro and questions

Hey all,

I am brand new to the world of ski's and was informed that this site is the best place to start the research and ask any questions that I might have.

This week I have been looking around at ski's trying to decide which one I would like to purchase. I am a definate Yamaha fan as I got one of their lovely R1's so I am very keen to stick with them.

My main interest in getting a ski is for the towing. I got a family who would enjoy being dragged around at high speeds on wakeboards, etc.

I have been talking to a few sales rep's and alike... My local store has recommended the XLT1200 as being the craft for towing, yet still allowing some good play time when the family are off patching up their wounds.

Personally, I love the look and features of the FX High Output, but the price seems to be at least $8k (AUD) more.

Any advice on which craft would be the best for my needs would be really appreciate.

Cheers,

Dan.

+1
    well a good family ski that is fun to ride and fast...... cant think of one with a yamaha logo on it I would look into the new ultra 250 or and rxt. or wait aaaaaaaaanother year for yamaha to make a new ski but it will be more than the FX I bet!

+1
    Welcome to the Forum !

you're definately going to want some HP, but you're also going to have to pay for it if you want to go family-capable as well.

Sometimes you just gotta spend a little more for the right thing.
    I think you should pony up for the FXHO, but definately take a look at the Kawi. It might just be what your looking for.

Moderated
    Ash i think you should go the FXHO as well but only if you let me do some testing with it when you get it or you can get a seapoo rxt but they are alot of upkeep from what i can tell.

glad to see you joined up buddy, these guys here will be able to set you straight.

+1
    Welcome eikcam.........FXHO is a sweet boat with good power for a big craft.It will be safe for the family.Just my opinion.

Banned User
    welcome! i think that some of the thing you need to weigh out also is how much will you use it? if it a seasonal thing then i would definatly stick with the fxho. being a 4-stroke, fuel injected, you'll have less maint. sitting time is anythings worst nightmare but the four strokes seem to deal with it better. if your going to be towing alot i would also steer toward the 4-stroke, simple power distribution in a four vs. a two stroke is much smoother throught the whole rpm range.
    anyway welcome and happy and safe riding!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by eikcam View Post
    Hey all,

I am brand new to the world of ski's and was informed that this site is the best place to start the research and ask any questions that I might have.

This week I have been looking around at ski's trying to decide which one I would like to purchase. I am a definate Yamaha fan as I got one of their lovely R1's so I am very keen to stick with them.

My main interest in getting a ski is for the towing. I got a family who would enjoy being dragged around at high speeds on wakeboards, etc.

I have been talking to a few sales rep's and alike... My local store has recommended the XLT1200 as being the craft for towing, yet still allowing some good play time when the family are off patching up their wounds.

Personally, I love the look and features of the FX High Output, but the price seems to be at least $8k (AUD) more.

Any advice on which craft would be the best for my needs would be really appreciate.

Cheers,

Dan.
    hi dan, the xlt is a superb craft as is the fx.. you need to look into the pros and cons of 2 and 4 stroke,
    as a entry leval ski to say get you used to the sport and see if its for you ,the xlt would be my choice, but also in a years time you want to upgrade to a fx then the money you saved on the xlt you may loose any way in resale, stick with yamaha look after what ever you get and it will be good to you in return..
    buying new or second hand??? if second hand xlt is the tool for you post a wanted add in the classifed adds and see what pops up.. new then shop about..keep me posted as would love to know what you go for..
    p.s welcome to the forum
    p.p.s i loved my 2001 xlt

My vote=FXHO

Thanks for all the feedback and welcomes.

The FXHO is definetly the ski that turns me on the most atm.

I will continue to look around next week and let you know how I do.

Also, if anyone is in South Australia and looking for an XLT, my local store is doing brand new 06's for around $14k.. And then you get the $1k cashback on top. Msg me if you want more details.

Thread Information